1940's Martin Soprano

I think i've found the reason why this uke sounds a little disappointing, I just measured the top thickness with a micrometer at .079" (2mm) thats about approx: .015" (.4mm) thicker than what I aim for to get a good sound..It also explains why martin tops don't distort much...may be mine are too thin :rolleyes:

*Edit* Not 1940's ...It's a 1960's uke... Further research shows that this is not a 1940's model as I was led to believe:( but it's an early 60's model.. this is shown by the inside decal which has the "MADE IN USA" stamp. At first I thought there was no inside stamp at all, but after a quick clean up of the dust on the inside with a damp brush it was revealed.

Last edited:
Checked 5 1919 -1936 sopranos they were between 1.62 - 1.74mm, the WWII concert measured 2.02, all sound like Martins, with variation in bark and a little in range. The concert is naturally a bit deeper.

Don't put it away until you've tried it with some decent strings, Ken.

No way ! I'll just put it back in the case and forget about it. :)

If anyone can turn this into a brilliant player, it would be you! Do it for science!

Well if it is koa, then I absolutely stole it!

It looks less koa-like sitting between two known koa ukes though. It is a beautiful example of early Martin work, regardless. And it does have the magic tone. :nana:

Report on This Martin Style 0 now refubed ..it has still a few scuffs and dings that show it has been around for a about 60 years the cracks are now sound with a couple of cleats installed...I fitted a new set of flourocarbon strings tuned it up to C and gave it a test flight.. The new strings seem to have given it new life, It sounds great almost identical to one of mine...I'll try and do a sound comparison later.

Last edited:
Report on This Martin Style 0 now refurbed ..it has still a few scuffs and dings that show it has been around for a about 60 years the cracks are now sound with a couple of cleats installed...I fitted a new set of flourocarbon strings tuned it up to C and gave it a test flight.. The new strings seem to have given it new life, It sounds great almost identical to one of mine...I'll try and do a sound comparison later.

Nice to hear it turned out well. I am looking forward to hearing it.

Top Bottom