NUD: Martin Konter

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I've had my eye on the Konter since Martin introduced it, but the price was too high. A few days ago, a kind soul on UU sent me a PM telling me how I could spend more money - on a used Konter from Elderly.

I looked at it, but moved on. Later in the day, I realized that used Konters don't come along very often, so I ordered it. It arrived yesterday, and it's beautiful. It's all solid koa with maybe two hundred autographs all over its body. The original Konter is in pretty bad shape, and it took a lot of technology to reveal all of the signatures.

I brought it to my group session last night, and it sounds great. One thing surprised me: the pleasant smell of the uke. I don't know if it's the wood or the finish, but is smells very nice.

https://www.ukulelemag.com/stories/...nd-is-signed-by-edison-coolidge-and-lindbergh
https://www.guitarplayer.com/frets/review-martin-konter-ukulele

01.jpg 03.jpg 05.jpg 06.jpg 07.jpg

It is said that this is the only modern Martin soprano with 12 frets which exactly replicated the vintage martin sopranos. Not including the S0 which is also 12 frets but is not of the traditional bracing.

Hence it is assumed that it could fully replicate that vintage voice.

Some more pics and the technology used to reveal the signatures. I have a book about the Konter arriving in a few days from Amazon.

I bought that book too. Haven't opened it yet. Must peruse today.

so on the original, were the signatures written in either ball point pen or sharpie? On this model, are they laser-etched into the wood?

so on the original, were the signatures written in either ball point pen or sharpie? On this model, are they laser-etched into the wood?

I don't know what they used in 1926, but ballpoint pens weren't in general use then. The Sharpie goes back to just 1964. I don't think a fountain pen would have been effective, but maybe it was. Looking at pictures of the original Konter, they had to do a lot of high tech work to see all the signatures, so whatever they used, it wasn't very durable. The new autographs are cut with a laser and then blackened.

I don't know what they used in 1926, but ballpoint pens weren't in general use then. The Sharpie goes back to just 1964. I don't think a fountain pen would have been effective, but maybe it was. Looking at pictures of the original Konter, they had to do a lot of high tech work to see all the signatures, so whatever they used, it wasn't very durable. The new autographs are cut with a laser and then blackened.

I'm guessing pencils, at least for the Arctic expedition signatures. Ink in a fountain pen would have frozen.

Congratulations, Jerry.

I have to admit it looks really good. Has an historic vibe to it. Glad you found a used one. Enjoy.

I have to admit it looks really good. Has an historic vibe to it. Glad you found a used one. Enjoy.

Historical, definitely. I like the idea that Calvin Coolidge actually guided the laser to carve his signature. :D

It is an amazing collection of autographs. I'm looking forward to receiving the book about it.

Very nice! Love that Martin smell! I believe they use Spanish Cedar for the kerfing, and that is what makes it smell so good.

Top Bottom