Canadian Uke

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I think most of you know that Canada had a nationwide ukulele education program years ago. I went to my Saturday group a few days ago, and the man next to me had a "Northern" ukulele. I asked him about it, and he said a friend in Canada gave it to him. It dates from 1975 and was used in the national uke education program. That's a little piece of history.

I took the picture with my Kindle, and I'm surprised it turned out as well as it did. There's a red maple leaf at the top of the headstock. That's what caught my attention.

http://www.vintageukemusic.com/ukuleles/northern.htm

Canadian Uke-2.jpg

I’m from Canada. I’ve never seen that version of Northern Uke have seen the ones Baz references in the link. I’d be curious if it was import or actually made in Canada. I wonder if anyone knows?

I am from Canada ....never seen that uke in shop or in school
There is a education program in the 70’s . The uke that was built for the program was made in Canada but in a very different look. It does not have the traditional uke shape. Definitely don’t look like your picture.

Many of the ukes were triangular, but I understand that they also used this traditional shape.

More info -
https://www.ukulelemag.com/stories/...orthern-ukulele-is-an-icon-of-music-education

Last edited:
I learned about that Canadian triangle uke when watching the uke movie last year. I understand the triangle design was because it was very easy to build, straight cuts, no bending. I actually like the look, sort balalaika.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

I learned about that Canadian triangle uke when watching the uke movie last year. I understand the triangle design was because it was very easy to build, straight cuts, no bending. I actually like the look, sort balalaika.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Yes, that was the idea - cheap and simple. Having the strings run through the headstock avoided the need for the headstock to be at an angle. They had straight sides to avoid the hassle of bending.

It looks similar to my Northern. Is it a NUK-20?

TerriGParks - I received an email with your UU post, but it isn't here yet. Odd.

If you want help with your essay you could post it here and see what suggestions you get.

EDIT: Two hours, and the post still hasn't appeared. Odd.

Last edited:
Check out J Chalmers Doanne to get the story of the ukuleles in Canadian schools.

J. Chalmers Doane (only one “n”) :)

Here's a very similar one, but without a headstock logo. The back states it's made in Japan, the soundhole label points to the Imperial Musical Instruments Ltd., which was based in Toronto. Northern was also based in Ontario, and made the triangular ukes patented in 1977-mid 1980s by Chalmers Doane. My theory is that these regular-shaped Jap-Cans were either forerunners (before 1977 Chalmers Doane used Harmony-built instruments, until that Chicago company folded, so he could have tried sourcing new ones overseas) or post-1977 competitors to the angular made-in-Canada ones. 41215848_10214779578434868_3755707037858660352_o.jpg41300429_10214779578594872_8336506430337056768_o.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom