Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Canadian Uke

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Catskill Mountains, NY
    Posts
    4,355

    Default Canadian Uke

    I think most of you know that Canada had a nationwide ukulele education program years ago. I went to my Saturday group a few days ago, and the man next to me had a "Northern" ukulele. I asked him about it, and he said a friend in Canada gave it to him. It dates from 1975 and was used in the national uke education program. That's a little piece of history.

    I took the picture with my Kindle, and I'm surprised it turned out as well as it did. There's a red maple leaf at the top of the headstock. That's what caught my attention.

    http://www.vintageukemusic.com/ukuleles/northern.htm

    Canadian Uke-2.jpg
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,060

    Default

    I’m from Canada. I’ve never seen that version of Northern Uke have seen the ones Baz references in the link. I’d be curious if it was import or actually made in Canada. I wonder if anyone knows?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Toronto , Canada
    Posts
    2,207

    Default

    I am from Canada ....never seen that uke in shop or in school
    There is a education program in the 70’s . The uke that was built for the program was made in Canada but in a very different look. It does not have the traditional uke shape. Definitely don’t look like your picture.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Catskill Mountains, NY
    Posts
    4,355

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SoloRule View Post
    I am from Canada ....never seen that uke in shop or in school
    There is a education program in the 70’s . The uke that was built for the program was made in Canada but in a very different look. It does not have the traditional uke shape. Definitely don’t look like your picture.
    Many of the ukes were triangular, but I understand that they also used this traditional shape.

    More info -
    https://www.ukulelemag.com/stories/g...usic-education
    Last edited by Jerryc41; 08-08-2019 at 03:54 AM.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, near the Beverly Center.
    Posts
    4,413

    Default

    I learned about that Canadian triangle uke when watching the uke movie last year. I understand the triangle design was because it was very easy to build, straight cuts, no bending. I actually like the look, sort balalaika.


    This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
    9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

    • Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Catskill Mountains, NY
    Posts
    4,355

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kohanmike View Post
    I learned about that Canadian triangle uke when watching the uke movie last year. I understand the triangle design was because it was very easy to build, straight cuts, no bending. I actually like the look, sort balalaika.


    This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
    9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

    • Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers
    Yes, that was the idea - cheap and simple. Having the strings run through the headstock avoided the need for the headstock to be at an angle. They had straight sides to avoid the hassle of bending.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    292

    Default

    It looks similar to my Northern. Is it a NUK-20?
    LACole
    Laurie Ann Cole

    Northern UK20 Concert Mahogany GCEA Aquila Lava
    2018
    Beaver Creek BCUKEFM-T Tenor Maple Flame gCEA D’addario Pro Arte
    Eddy Finn EF-Moon Concert Mahogany gCEA Aquila SuperNylgut
    Beaver Creek BCUKE-S Soprano Mahogany gCEA D’addario Black Nylon
    2019
    Ohana PKC-25G Concert Mahogany Pineapple gCEA Aquila
    Donner DUC-3 Concert Spruce/Mahogany gCEA Donner

    CPM CT-Q2 chromatic clip on tuner
    Snark SN-4 tuner
    Donner tuner

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by M3Ukulele View Post
    I’m from Canada. I’ve never seen that version of Northern Uke have seen the ones Baz references in the link. I’d be curious if it was import or actually made in Canada. I wonder if anyone knows?
    No, I believe this model was made in Japan.
    LACole
    Laurie Ann Cole

    Northern UK20 Concert Mahogany GCEA Aquila Lava
    2018
    Beaver Creek BCUKEFM-T Tenor Maple Flame gCEA D’addario Pro Arte
    Eddy Finn EF-Moon Concert Mahogany gCEA Aquila SuperNylgut
    Beaver Creek BCUKE-S Soprano Mahogany gCEA D’addario Black Nylon
    2019
    Ohana PKC-25G Concert Mahogany Pineapple gCEA Aquila
    Donner DUC-3 Concert Spruce/Mahogany gCEA Donner

    CPM CT-Q2 chromatic clip on tuner
    Snark SN-4 tuner
    Donner tuner

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Catskill Mountains, NY
    Posts
    4,355

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lacole View Post
    It looks similar to my Northern. Is it a NUK-20?
    Apparently, it is.
    https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...js8teJr_BW18M:
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •