First Tenor Uke! (Down-tuning... Wibbling etc.)

Macavity

Reaction score
A month ago, I purchased my first Ukulele, after a 50+ year lay off! That said, I have (hopefully) progressed a bit as a "bedroom guitarist"? lol. But, for a long time, I had felt I was mostly "treading water" re. the whole Electric / Acoustic, Guitar / Bass thing...

The "Concert", purchased from a UK "Box Shifter", was a bit of a disappointment - An 80 quid (dollar/euro) "experiment"? As a not-so-newbie, viewed philosophically? Despite sharp frets, "cosmetic" gouges in the fingerboard, the UKE itself didn't SOUND too bad! lol. Enough to re-kindle enthusiasm re. Uke playing: It felt like *real* progress! :D

Thus undaunted, I just bought a TENOR Enya EUT-X1 from Amazon UK. This purchase was based on a number of useful / positive reviews. I thank the many "anon" reviewers / experts on UU Forums / Websites / Youtube etc. The ENYA proved MUCH more pleasing re. playability / construction. I just *LOVE* it, but found the increased string tension challenging? Then I dared to try Down-Tuning it a bit? (Hey, if it was / is good enough for J.Hendrix / R.Trower etc.) :p

I hope it will be OK to mention Mr. Brad Bordessa re. this one:
https://liveukulele.com/tuning-down-a-half-step/
I only took mine down a 1/2 step, but it is ALL so much better! :cool:

I haven't even bought "proper" strings for the Enya yet. Not perfect yet? Digital calipers showed (default) 1st & 4th strings to be the same gauge. The "top" string may benefit from less tension... More "Bendability" maybe... Might try "Concert" strings on it... I have various "Low-G" (Wound / Plain / "Red" etc.) experiments in mind! <Muahaha> ...

Thanks for the warm welcome, folks! The FUN continues... :music:

Last edited:
You've already hit on the 2 easiest ways to reduce tension: Down-tuning and different strings. Good luck......it should be a fun experiment!

I read the liveukulele article & tuned my bari's down a half step. I've long been annoyed by the E string (DGBE tuning) sounding like a cat being kicked, & tried many different strings over many years to improve it. This is the answer, thank goodness! I'm also liking the decreased tension on my old fingers.

I have found “most” tenors sound better tuned to Bb. The only downside is playing with others that are tuned to C. Transposing is a pain in real time, but you can use a capo.

You can probably use the same strings.

John

Well, took a while to think of down-tuning! A little celebrity-endorsement helps? :p
Continue to be pleased with the Tenor... Except for the HPL finger-mark thing! lol

Surprised to learn that there is a Ukulele Group near here. So *many* members
they have a waiting list?!? I may eventually NEED a half-decent "Concert" too... :D

For the moment, quite content to amuse myself on this one. Capo if necessary? :)

Thanks Folks, Chris

Last edited:
Top Bottom