Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ukulele Safety Shirt

Default Ukulele Safety Shirt

I see a need for a Ukulele Safety Shirt. Lots of used ukes have scratches on their backs. Not all were made by buttons or zippers or things in shirt pockets, but some definitely were. Someone should make a nice, soft microfiber shirt that will coddle, rather than physically abuse our ukes.

Whenever I place a uke on a table, I make sure there is something non-scratching under it. That's another product I might buy - a nice, soft cloth with some kind of ukulele-related picture on it. Of course a stand is the best way to prevent a uke from getting scratched.

Am I serious about this suggestion? Sort of. I always make sure I am wearing a shirt that won't scratch my uke if I'm playing something good that's made from wood.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    I see a need for a Ukulele Safety Shirt. Lots of used ukes have scratches on their backs. Not all were made by buttons or zippers or things in shirt pockets, but some definitely were. Someone should make a nice, soft microfiber shirt that will coddle, rather than physically abuse our ukes.

Whenever I place a uke on a table, I make sure there is something non-scratching under it. That's another product I might buy - a nice, soft cloth with some kind of ukulele-related picture on it. Of course a stand is the best way to prevent a uke from getting scratched.

Am I serious about this suggestion? Sort of. I always make sure I am wearing a shirt that won't scratch my uke if I'm playing something good that's made from wood.
    like a microfiber apron!

In all seriousness, I usually throw a microfiber towel into each of my cases to wipe the uke down afterwards. I suppose if I were really motivated, I could use that to act as a barrier. I like this one. https://www.amazon.com/Planet-Waves-...s%2C174&sr=8-9

On a related note, I have a nice koa concert uke in a case. When I opened the case yesterday, I noticed the little strap that keeps the top from opening too big was in the bottom of the case where the uke lies. At the end of the strap was a small screw! That could have been really bad, having a screw making all kinds of scratches...

Thankfully, it looked like no harm was done. My heart skipped a beat though.

I just saran wrap my torso from neck to just below the belt. Never scratched a uke to this day.
    Kamaka HF-2LD - Kanile'a Custom 5 string Super Tenor - KoAloha Special Issue Tenor - Pono MGTDP - Pono ATDC-CR

John King used to place an anti-skid pad between his shirt and his 'ukulele. I often do the same when playing without a strap, and I suppose it serves the same purpose (just make sure it's not going to react with the 'ukulele's finish).
    "Who hears music, feels his solitude Peopled at once -- for how count heart-beats plain / Unless a company, with hearts which beat, / Come close to the musician, seen or no?" - Robert Browning, "Balaustion's Adventure"

Quote Originally Posted by Counter View Post
    I just saran wrap my torso from neck to just below the belt. Never scratched a uke to this day.
    Do you find that people tend to avoid you when you're wrapped up like that? : )

Do you find that people tend to avoid you when you're wrapped up like that? : )
    It's ok, they avoid me as soon as I start to play anyway
    Last edited by Counter; 08-08-2019 at 07:59 AM.
    Kamaka HF-2LD - Kanile'a Custom 5 string Super Tenor - KoAloha Special Issue Tenor - Pono MGTDP - Pono ATDC-CR

Quote Originally Posted by ubulele View Post
    You mean a shirt like, um, a T-shirt?

For extra safety, make it a neon orange one.
    That would be okay for general use, but I prefer to have everything uke-related when I play: a uke mug, a uke hat, a uke microfiber cloth, etc. Of course I always wear a pair of ukulele socks.

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=ukulele...f=nb_sb_noss_2

Socks 2.jpg
    Last edited by Jerryc41; 08-08-2019 at 08:00 AM.

Hmmm Jerry, I wonder where this is coming from? I'm not too worried about buttons, but I did have to quit wearing my big cowboy belt buckle. I found that out the hard way, but luckily it was my Makala and not my Mainland. Lots of things lurking out there waiting to put a nice scratch in a ukulele. But I'll guarantee you that if you find a shirt and market it as a ukulele centric playing shirt, people will buy it.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

I doubt too many people will go change into a safety shirt before starting playing, and it would definitely cut down on impromptu playing opportunities. Maybe a safety poncho that can be thrown on. I did buy wrist bands when I first bought my uke to protect it from bracelets, but I realize I'm not having a problem with bracelets any longer.

That would be okay for general use, but I prefer to have everything uke-related when I play: a uke mug, a uke hat, a uke microfiber cloth, etc. Of course I always wear a pair of ukulele socks.

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=ukulele...f=nb_sb_noss_2

Socks 2.jpg
    Wouldn't that make it more about accoutrements than about actually playing?

Thread Information