Ukulele Safety Shirt

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I see a need for a Ukulele Safety Shirt. Lots of used ukes have scratches on their backs. Not all were made by buttons or zippers or things in shirt pockets, but some definitely were. Someone should make a nice, soft microfiber shirt that will coddle, rather than physically abuse our ukes.

Whenever I place a uke on a table, I make sure there is something non-scratching under it. That's another product I might buy - a nice, soft cloth with some kind of ukulele-related picture on it. Of course a stand is the best way to prevent a uke from getting scratched.

Am I serious about this suggestion? Sort of. I always make sure I am wearing a shirt that won't scratch my uke if I'm playing something good that's made from wood.

I see a need for a Ukulele Safety Shirt. Lots of used ukes have scratches on their backs. Not all were made by buttons or zippers or things in shirt pockets, but some definitely were. Someone should make a nice, soft microfiber shirt that will coddle, rather than physically abuse our ukes.

Whenever I place a uke on a table, I make sure there is something non-scratching under it. That's another product I might buy - a nice, soft cloth with some kind of ukulele-related picture on it. Of course a stand is the best way to prevent a uke from getting scratched.

Am I serious about this suggestion? Sort of. I always make sure I am wearing a shirt that won't scratch my uke if I'm playing something good that's made from wood.

like a microfiber apron!

In all seriousness, I usually throw a microfiber towel into each of my cases to wipe the uke down afterwards. I suppose if I were really motivated, I could use that to act as a barrier. I like this one. https://www.amazon.com/Planet-Waves-Microfiber-Polish-Cloth/dp/B0002GYW4C/ref=sr_1_9?crid=3F90V8IGGJLDA&keywords=microfiber+instrument+cleaning+cloth&qid=1565284850&s=gateway&sprefix=microfiber+instrument+%2Caps%2C174&sr=8-9

On a related note, I have a nice koa concert uke in a case. When I opened the case yesterday, I noticed the little strap that keeps the top from opening too big was in the bottom of the case where the uke lies. At the end of the strap was a small screw! :eek: That could have been really bad, having a screw making all kinds of scratches...

Thankfully, it looked like no harm was done. My heart skipped a beat though.

I just saran wrap my torso from neck to just below the belt. Never scratched a uke to this day.

John King used to place an anti-skid pad between his shirt and his 'ukulele. I often do the same when playing without a strap, and I suppose it serves the same purpose (just make sure it's not going to react with the 'ukulele's finish).

Last edited:
Hmmm Jerry, I wonder where this is coming from? I'm not too worried about buttons, but I did have to quit wearing my big cowboy belt buckle. I found that out the hard way, but luckily it was my Makala and not my Mainland. Lots of things lurking out there waiting to put a nice scratch in a ukulele. But I'll guarantee you that if you find a shirt and market it as a ukulele centric playing shirt, people will buy it.;)

I doubt too many people will go change into a safety shirt before starting playing, and it would definitely cut down on impromptu playing opportunities. Maybe a safety poncho that can be thrown on. I did buy wrist bands when I first bought my uke to protect it from bracelets, but I realize I'm not having a problem with bracelets any longer.

No such problem here when playing naked. Put some lotion on if skin is rough.

@ghostrdr

We are definitely kin...
I am the only member of my Monday night group of ~45 players that wipes down their ukulele after playing.
(With a micro fiber towel)
And my ukulele is half the price of some of the $1000 units that some people play.
And we have snacks - cookies and candies and goodies at the mid-period break.

An ukulele is an organic item that begins to dance when we breathe life into at through our playing. Therefore it is our responsibility to care for it.

Ha, I always make sure I have a t shirt with no graphics when I play my nice Ukes. I even make sure to wear soft pants, never jeans. If I have jeans on my uke is adjusted higher not to sit on my lap. It may seem like a bit much, but I am in those clothes at home pretty much as is. If I’m out and about the Uke is probably not one I’m too worried about.

I am getting better about not caring, but I would be extremely pissed at myself if I scratched a Uke with a belt or buttons. Although, I never know if I might sell some one day, so it’s an investment too.

Last edited:
Hmmm Jerry, I wonder where this is coming from?

Like most people here, I browse sites that sell used ukuleles, and I've seen quite a few with scratches on the back. Maybe they were made by clothing, and maybe they weren't, but why take a chance?

Maybe we should just go ahead and put a few scratches on our new ukes and get the inevitable over with. For those that need instruction on proper care, I suggest getting a copy of Willie Nelsons forthcoming manual " How to preserve the beauty of cherished acoustic instruments." :)

Top Bottom