1st a Cappella performance!

Nickie

Reaction score
Last evening we had our monthly open mic in the Ohana, a beautiful Hawaiian style cafe.
Our theme was the 50th anniversary of the Woodstock Rock Festival.
We were so jammed we were limited to 2 songs!
So I loved Janis Joplin, but can't sing in her style, so I got up solo and did the only Janis song I Know, Mercedes Benz. A very good bassist backed me up and I led the audience in the song, I had it stored in my memory. Most of them sang it, except for the really younger customers.
I'm not a great singer, but I belted it out in F as best I could, and got several compliments.
I didn't do a 2nd song, so we'd all have plenty of time. We did.

You gotta be booze sodden to do a real Janis sounding tribute........

She was a 'once in a lifetime' performer.......loved the way she used to belt out them songs. :)

Awesome job, Nickie! And it was a good decision to keep it to the one song-- leave them hungry for more!

Awesome job!
it is my first time on the forum and it is really nice resource for learning ukulele.
Thanks

“Oh lord won’t ya buy me a Mercedes Benz all my friends they drive Porsche’s I must make a menz”...........love it Nickie, great choice and good going.

Sorry that I didn't see this earlier. No one is ever going to sound like Janice Joplin, so just make it your own. Mercedes Benz is my warm up song. Love it.

Thanks Dave. I growled it out as best I could!
First time I ever got the whole restaurant singing along...

Nice song choice "Mercedes Benz". The best part is when you get compliments from the audience, I mean, the feeling is just surreal.

Top Bottom