M Nunez Soprano- Question On Finish Used

sncarm

Reaction score
Hello,

Was wondering what finish was used on the M Nunez uke vintage ca. 1915 ?
The uke has some scratching around the bridge from a previous repair and looks like someone sanded through the finish in an effort to eliminate the scratches. I would like to touch this up.
Any help would be sincerely appreciated

I don't know for certain, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't shellac. My 1920s Kumalae is certainly finished in shellac.

Thanks for the quick responses. I wanted to make sure it was shellac before I dove head first into french polishing.

If you're just touching up you can wipe on shellac with a clean rag or paper towel - 3 or 4 coats should do it - and then gently blend the edges of the new finish until it's a close match with the old. The Micromesh finishing pads work well for this, or some very fine wet and dry paper (I don't know how fine, ask here, but maybe P4000 or the US equivalent).

This assumes you want to preserve the original finish on the rest of the uke - if so, don't try to make your repair too shiny or it will stand out. Go slow - you can always shine up a touch more later.

And don''t forget shellac comes in different colours, from blonde to dark brown, so you'll have to guess at that.

Thanks ProfChris I appreciate the tips. Yes I will just repair the scratches as best possible and retain the old finish. The uke is koa, a sopano, and was used by the owners great uncle in mistrel shows during the 20's. So, as you might guess,
it has sentimental value for her and her family.

Top Bottom