Should I get a travel uke or not?

I like to relate the story of my brother in law and his Martin D28. It is solid spruce and rosewood and retails today for over $3000.00. Starting as a teenager he hitchhiked around the USA for 10 years with that guitar. He busked for a living and lived mostly on the streets with guitar in tow in the elements. He still performs on stage with that guitar 45 years later.

I travel with my Koolau which is about the same price as the Martin D28. No problems, no issues, no worries. Get a hard case or pro level gig bag, Mono or Fusion.

I love the Mono M80 gig bags. They are very sturdy. Sometimes you can find a used one on reverb for about 50-60% of the cost new. I just checked and there's a used concert gig bag for $85 shipped.

My family and I had a great time in Japan. I didn't bring a uke, and we were super tired every day.

"This option is not exactly out of the window. But is highly dependable on wifey mood. I would still need an uke with me in case I don’t get the Kiwaya."

Leave your uke at home, telling your wifey that you want to make sure she has a wonderful time. Then the night before you visit Kiwaya, take her to a great dinner spot. Afterwards, tell her you hope she is having as wonderful a time as you are... and that this would have been the perfect trip "if only you had an uke with you". Then, next day, show her the 100th anniversary Kiwaya for $2k and ask if she likes it. Well, how about the $300 one to remember the trip by...

I like to relate the story of my brother in law and his Martin D28. It is solid spruce and rosewood and retails today for over $3000.00. Starting as a teenager he hitchhiked around the USA for 10 years with that guitar. He busked for a living and lived mostly on the streets with guitar in tow in the elements. He still performs on stage with that guitar 45 years later.

I travel with my Koolau which is about the same price as the Martin D28. No problems, no issues, no worries. Get a hard case or pro level gig bag, Mono or Fusion.

Definitely on the lookout for a sturdy gig bag now. Thanks for sharing yours and your brother in law experiences for the confidence boost. Seen so many posts on having an outdoor or travel uke makes me think that that’s the only way to go for cold weather.

I love the Mono M80 gig bags. They are very sturdy. Sometimes you can find a used one on reverb for about 50-60% of the cost new. I just checked and there's a used concert gig bag for $85 shipped.

My family and I had a great time in Japan. I didn't bring a uke, and we were super tired every day.

Sounds like you had a packed but fun schedule! We tend to laze around in the hotel room till late morning which gives me plenty of bonding time with my uke.

The mono looks like it could survive an apocalypse. Thanks for the heads up on the used category.

"This option is not exactly out of the window. But is highly dependable on wifey mood. I would still need an uke with me in case I don’t get the Kiwaya."

Leave your uke at home, telling your wifey that you want to make sure she has a wonderful time. Then the night before you visit Kiwaya, take her to a great dinner spot. Afterwards, tell her you hope she is having as wonderful a time as you are... and that this would have been the perfect trip "if only you had an uke with you". Then, next day, show her the 100th anniversary Kiwaya for $2k and ask if she likes it. Well, how about the $300 one to remember the trip by...

Sounds like someone pulled this off before. ‘Wink’
I may have jinx myself already as I shared to her about Kiwaya and their great uke history. Her reply to my casual comment on the very slight possibility of getting a kiwaya locally was, “you’re only getting the magnet.” Oh well. Lol

Last edited:
I didn’t see your plan for coming back. Were you going to sell your Eddy Finn over there? You do realize that if you buy a Kiwaya and keep the uke you are taking you’ll need to fly two ukes back.

Have you looked into renting a uke over there? I don’t know if that is an option, but even though I’ve flown with a solid koa tenor, I’ve never tried to juggle two at one time.

John

I didn’t see your plan for coming back. Were you going to sell your Eddy Finn over there? You do realize that if you buy a Kiwaya and keep the uke you are taking you’ll need to fly two ukes back.

Have you looked into renting a uke over there? I don’t know if that is an option, but even though I’ve flown with a solid koa tenor, I’ve never tried to juggle two at one time.

John

That's probably what spouses are for - uke transport.

John

Lugging a couple of ukes is the easy part. I highly doubt I’m able to get a Kiwaya. ‘Cross finger’

That's probably what spouses are for - uke transport.

You are totally right on that part, I’m the shopping bags porter and damn proud of it.

Despite of all the good suggestions and advices given, I decided to be a complete idiot and bought a gig bag for its looks rather than functionality. Okay, it’s still pretty functional as a gig bag.

Saw this in a uke shop while on the day trip to neighbouring city today. Bohemian style gig bag and how cool is that when it doesn’t even look like a uke bag.
ApxPFQ2l.jpg

My soprano uke strap-in for a test drive. It can fit up to a concert.
YnlB5ucl.jpg

It has about 10mm thick padding sewn internally and the interior is made of water resistive maternal. Comes with a internal pocket for tuner and stuff.
OQq0R7ul.jpg

I intend to use this as my only hand carry bag pack as it seems big enough to hold other traveling items, ipad, passport, charger etc plus the ukulele.
SFCfRSLl.jpg

Thanks for looking!

When I see those gig bags, I think there’s not much protection. Apparently, I am very wrong! Congrats! Looks awesome!

Thanks, ghostrdr! I though so too initially but was surprised to see the padding inside. I would most probably stuff some rolled shirts to prevent it from bouncing around. although it is strap in, there’s plenty of space inside.

Be careful of size restrictions for carry on bags. If it were just carrying your uke, it would likely be allowed. If it has a bunch of clothes and other personal items, they may limit you to the 22 inch length restriction.

I'm consumed by curiosity. Others must be wondering, too. I recognise your red tuner, but what is that other artifact in the photos? The one that looks like - well, I won't say what it looks like. It must be an item of importance since you have deliberately chosen to include it in the photo.

You can tell us. We'll be very discreet.

John Colter.

Despite of all the good suggestions and advices given, I decided to be a complete idiot and bought a gig bag for its looks rather than functionality. Okay, it’s still pretty functional as a gig bag.

Depending on how concerned you are about getting the uke damaged, you may want to check the airlines' www sites for the exact dimensions of allowed carry ons, either for in the overhead or under the seat. If your uke in the bag exceeds the allowed dimensions, the airline personnel may make you check it and I think it very likely that significant damage would occur if that went into the checked baggage. The personnel may also cut you some slack if it is too large, letting you put it in the overhead or under the seat, but they don't have to.

A couple of months ago the announcement was made at my gate that the flight was full and they needed 20 volunteers to check their carry ons instead of putting them in the overheads. No one volunteered, so the next announcement was that everyone in Section 6 had to check their carry ons. All of the Section 6 folks had their carry ons taken, tagged, and sent on with the rest of the checked luggage. My guess is that a lot of fragile stuff got busted up.

I'm consumed by curiosity. Others must be wondering, too. I recognise your red tuner, but what is that other artifact in the photos? The one that looks like - well, I won't say what it looks like. It must be an item of importance since you have deliberately chosen to include it in the photo.

John Colter.

I guess.... Nylabone, a dog’s chew toy? My dogs are not the best at putting things away either

Be careful of size restrictions for carry on bags. If it were just carrying your uke, it would likely be allowed. If it has a bunch of clothes and other personal items, they may limit you to the 22 inch length restriction.

Oh, I’m not aware of this. Perhaps I would have to limit it to music related items. It’s definitely on the long side and could exceed by just a tad bit. Thanks for the friendly tip, rainbow21!

John Colter.
Oh that. It’s my happy toy... Of course not! It’s just one of my fur kid’s chew toys. The whole house is littered with them. They are everywhere and I took these photos even without noticing. Sorry for misleading but it’s not what you think. Lol!

Depending on how concerned you are about getting the uke damaged, you may want to check the airlines' www sites for the exact dimensions of allowed carry ons, either for in the overhead or under the seat. If your uke in the bag exceeds the allowed dimensions, the airline personnel may make you check it and I think it very likely that significant damage would occur if that went into the checked baggage. The personnel may also cut you some slack if it is too large, letting you put it in the overhead or under the seat, but they don't have to.

A couple of months ago the announcement was made at my gate that the flight was full and they needed 20 volunteers to check their carry ons instead of putting them in the overheads. No one volunteered, so the next announcement was that everyone in Section 6 had to check their carry ons. All of the Section 6 folks had their carry ons taken, tagged, and sent on with the rest of the checked luggage. My guess is that a lot of fragile stuff got busted up.
Wow, that’s unbelievable. The airline crew did the easy way out and pissed everyone in that section. They could nicely sort out the folks with multiple carry ons and the ones exceeded the size limitations. Sometimes I open my overhead storage and it is filled up with supplies, blankets etc.

I guess.... Nylabone, a dog’s chew toy? My dogs are not the best at putting things away either
Thanks for having my back, ghostrdr! It’s a chew bone toy. They are everywhere to the point I don’t notice them anymore.

John Colter.

What? You don't throw in a chew toy to keep your uke occupied during long trips? Mine prefers pigs ears though...

First of all, I most always fly Delta and my checked baggage is free. A lot of people have to pay extra or don't want to check a suitcase, so that isn't an option. But I can stuff a soprano, or even my concert in my checked luggage. I do not think that a ukulele in a hard case and then put into a suitcase and checked is more susceptible to damage than one getting jammed in an overhead bin or kicked around under a seat, not to mention the chances of it getting stepped on, sit on, or stolen during layovers. Also I personally hate flying and the less I have to haul around the less stressed I am about the whole trip. I've done many flights this way and never had damage. But I know that some people can not stand being separated from their ukulele for even a moment, and if that is how they want to travel, so be it. But I don't even think twice about checking it that way.

Also, horrors of horrors, I've been known to travel without a ukulele. I've found that I can get along without one for short periods of time. Especially if I'm going to be moving around a lot of busy doing other things.

Last edited:
First of all, I most always fly Delta and my checked baggage is free. A lot of people have to pay extra or don't want to check a suitcase, so that isn't an option. But I can stuff a soprano, or even my concert in my checked luggage. I do not think that a ukulele in a hard case and then put into a suitcase and checked is more susceptible to damage than one getting jammed in an overhead bin or kicked around under a seat, not to mention the chances of it getting stepped on, sit on, or stolen during layovers. Also I personally hate flying and the less I have to haul around the less stressed I am about the whole trip. I've done many flights this way and never had damage. But I know that some people can not stand being separated from their ukulele for even a moment, and if that is how they want to travel, so be it. But I don't even think twice about checking it that way.

Also, horrors of horrors, I've been known to travel without a ukulele. I've found that I can get along without one for short periods of time. Especially if I'm going to be moving around a lot of busy doing other things.

I’ve been telling myself to do as what you have done, which is working perfectly fine. But I can’t. I know I won’t be able to live with myself even if a hairline crack is made on my uke.

It was last year I went on a trip after I caught the uke bug. I didn’t bring an uke with me. Bad decision. It took a huge amount of internal conflicts and debates to not buy ukes on impulse while sightseeing. Any random uke I saw, I would want to buy it. I had no sense of judgement or reason. I had the itch bad.

You're missing the very real possibility that your luggage will be lost, and there are limits to the value of any one item that the airline will pay.

I’ve also found it possible to get by without a Uke for a while, when in holiday make space for new and interesting things to enter your life.

I’m not going to be playing a Uke in the cabin so why not try and keep things simple, and free up resource to have more need things to hand instead, by finding a way to get the Uke safely transported in the hold.

I’m wondering about soft shell and hard shell suitcases. My suspicion is that a nice enough $100 laminate Soprano inside of a hard shell suitcase packed with soft items around it (so no gig bag or hard case) is most unlikely to come to any harm. If a soft shell suitcase is used then a hard instrument case (protection from external loads) could be a good idea. Life is full of risks, you can’t avoid them all but you can try to manage the odds.

What’s your experience and thinking?

Last edited:
Top Bottom