Should I get a travel uke or not?

If I'd have seen this thread earlier, I'd have suggested a RISA solid/stick uke, add a mini amp & headphones, & you could play anytime without disturbing anyone else.
Wife would have been happy, & she'd then have let you visit the shops & museum. :D

(Ooops, I did mention it before, sorry.) ;)

If I'd have seen this thread earlier, I'd have suggested a RISA solid/stick uke, add a mini amp & headphones, & you could play anytime without disturbing anyone else.
Wife would have been happy, & she'd then have let you visit the shops & museum. :D

(Ooops, I did mention it before, sorry.) ;)

Haha, yeah you did! Thanks Keith for the thoughtful suggestion. Most probably I can find some time to sneak out when in taiwan. Wife will be exhausted after shopping in Tokyo.

To the aNueNue flagship shop!

I've gone the Travel Uke route. It isn't all that fulfilling. I have a Kala Travel Concert that is fun to play, and looks nice. The only thing "travel" about it is its thin body. It's as if Kala thought I'd be packing it in my suitcase, and would appreciate the thiner body taking up less space. Really? Packed in a suitcase? Hardly! So, carrying the thinner Uke in a gig bag isn't any easier than carrying a standard size Uke in a gig bag. So what's the advantage? I did buy the Kala Soprano Travel Uke, but especially for carrying in my motorcycle saddle bag. There, the thinner body does make a difference. Otherwise, not so much. Incidentally, the tone of the Kala Concert is nice, different, interesting. The tone of the Kala Soprano is not so good.

Funny you mentioned about Kala travel uke as I had bought a Kala Long neck soprano specifically for this trip. In the end, I didn’t take it. It was too long to shove into my hand carry bag. Instead I have with me, a sopranissimo sized uke!

(I said earlier I’m bringing a soprano eddy finn but flicker minded again. lol

I’m in an airport right now, traveling with a concert size Opio in a hard case. No issues taking on the plane or, at worst, gate checking it and picking it up first thing when I get off. I used to play classical violin in my teens w/ a conservatory and we all travelled frequently with one instrument that we carried in....only the cellos had to be checked! Most flights were very accommodating to smaller instruments.

I’m in an airport right now, traveling with a concert size Opio in a hard case. No issues taking on the plane or, at worst, gate checking it and picking it up first thing when I get off. I used to play classical violin in my teens w/ a conservatory and we all travelled frequently with one instrument that we carried in....only the cellos had to be checked! Most flights were very accommodating to smaller instruments.

That’s great to hear. I’m a newbie uke traveller and the past few days been pretty hectic. I had only 4 days in Japan and there’s so much to do! In Taiwan now and the airport custom check guys didn’t even blink at the odd shape gigbag I had with me.

Back in the day, gangsters carried their tommy guns in guitar cases....at least that's how they did it in the movies.

Back in the day, gangsters carried their tommy guns in guitar cases....at least that's how they did it in the movies.

Or shotgun in a huge bouquet of roses.

If I was going to Tokyo, and had time to uke shop, I'd go to the area where most of the music shops are and look for a nice used soprano, Kiwaya, or more likley to find a Famous (same as Kiwaya, but branded Famous for domestic sales in Japan). I bet there'd be a bunch of used models available over there. Then, I'd just pack it in my suitcase surrounded by clothes for the return trip.

That would be a luxury for me to even think about it. :)

I have done something mad when visiting the aNueNue shop in Taipei! But this uke is coming home with me, with my wife’s blessing!
y17rltXl.jpg

Tonight is the last full moon of the decade. Apparently it rises at 12:12PM and its 12/12/19. What a great day to get a Moon Bird. Which is what I think you have sensibly bought.

Wow! thank you for the meaningful information, Bill.

Guess the uke god works in mysterious ways.

Congratulations on the outstanding “travel uke”. I guess the new meaning of travel uke is.......what uke did you buy on your travels ;)

First off, congrats on the Moonbird. I love mine.

Since I last posted, I made my trip from Utah to Florida and back with my Blackbird Clara. I decided to get a Reunion Blues case for travel & it worked like a charm. It's a beefy soft case with hideaway backpack straps that worked great for carrying it at the TBUG Uke festival for 3 days. I felt safe with it in the overhead on the airplane. It fit perfect in all the different planes I flew on, and I had zero issues with Delta. I had considered the Fusion bag, and while it's a nice bag, it only comes in soprano & concert/tenor sizes. The concert/tenor would have been too long to fit standing on it's side in the overhead.

Congratulations on the outstanding “travel uke”. I guess the new meaning of travel uke is.......what uke did you buy on your travels ;)

Haha! Thank you Dave. I got absolutely zero intention to buy any uke while at the aNueNue shop. Then one thing leads to another!

First off, congrats on the Moonbird. I love mine.

Since I last posted, I made my trip from Utah to Florida and back with my Blackbird Clara. I decided to get a Reunion Blues case for travel & it worked like a charm. It's a beefy soft case with hideaway backpack straps that worked great for carrying it at the TBUG Uke festival for 3 days. I felt safe with it in the overhead on the airplane. It fit perfect in all the different planes I flew on, and I had zero issues with Delta. I had considered the Fusion bag, and while it's a nice bag, it only comes in soprano & concert/tenor sizes. The concert/tenor would have been too long to fit standing on it's side in the overhead.

Thank you Raftergirl! Guess I’m a fellow moon birder now. But mine is a soprano moon bird. I wil be using the aNueNue blue hard case for my flight back. Fingers crossed. Thanks for the suggested options on the travel uke bag!

That blue aNueNue case is a tank, so you shouldn't have any issues on the airplane. I'd be sunk if I ever went into the aNueNue shop.

That blue aNueNue case is a tank, so you shouldn't have any issues on the airplane. I'd be sunk if I ever went into the aNueNue shop.

Glad to hear that! The blue case does look super sturdy and has really cushy interior. Well I conceded to UAS Attack the moment I got in. All the bird ukes, moon birds, koa birds (3k, 5k) etc are hanging on the wall and the staff just simply said, “ help yourself!” and left me and my wife, alone with their ukes. No one on UU would be able to resist that.

Well, if to buy a new uke while in japan, it would be an obligation to get the kiwaya! Haha, wifey will not allow this to happen.. that would be a dream for me.

Such a sensible wife. She knew the aNueNue would be a much better choice!

Congrats!!! One of those moon birds is tops on my list...maybe next year for my 40th birthday?? (UAS is such a pernicious thing) Enjoy your beautiful, perfect “travel Uke” and post some videos! ��

Such a sensible wife. She knew the aNueNue would be a much better choice!

I must say she is!

Well, while at the aNueNue shop 2 days ago, I tried convincing myself to get a cheaper uke to curb the UAS Attack. But my dear wife told me not to get that as I have plenty of that at home. She compared the cheap ukes as Toyota cars and suggest that I should go for the Rolls Royce instead.

I slept on it and today I went back to the aNueNue shop. The rest is history.

Congrats!!! One of those moon birds is tops on my list...maybe next year for my 40th birthday?? (UAS is such a pernicious thing) Enjoy your beautiful, perfect “travel Uke” and post some videos! ��

Thanks, Rosie! I’m definitely enjoying the moon bird! Well, you better act fast cos these moon birds are flying off the shelf. The soprano moon bird I got is the display piece off the wall and is the last one of its size. And I’m buying at the aNueNue main shop.

Top Bottom