Uku Crazy soft case?

ChuckBarnett

Reaction score
I spotted a used but very clean tenor ukulele soft side case. Brand is Uke Crazy. Guy wants $25. I don't know anything about these. Any opinions? This would be for a ukulele I would be building for a grandchild.

Thank you, folks!

soft meaning gig bag or one of the hard foam ones? Regardless, you may want to just troll Amazon.
These guys have some decent hard cases cheap. They're obviously from China as they have that chemical smell you may need to air out, but mine have held up well.
https://www.glarrymusic.com/cases-c-15.html

I spotted a used but very clean tenor ukulele soft side case. Brand is Uke Crazy. Guy wants $25. I don't know anything about these. Any opinions? This would be for a ukulele I would be building for a grandchild.

Thank you, folks!

Uke Crazy is made by Kala. Price for used might be high since if you search uke gig bags, many new ones are that price or lower. One consideration is that your grandchild might want to pick out his/her own gig bag for the same price with a pattern that pleases them (I chose one with owls).

I have read some opinions that a hard side is better than a soft side. While I agree that a hard case offers better protection, my soft side offers a front picket that holds my iPad which holds ALL my music.
And since I have a ‘disability’ that severely limits how much weight that I can carry, this is an important consideration for me.
However I do have a tenor Uke Crazy hard side, from years ago, that I really like - if I don’t need to bring music charts.

It is widely know that Uke Crazy is a sub-brand of Kala Ukuleles, i.e. made for, or by Kala.

These are hard foam covered with canvas and are much lighter weight than the typical fake-leather over hard wood.

They also offer significantly better protection than any kind of cloth or padded gig bag because the hard foam offers a level of structural protection that all gig bags do not.

The hard foam cases can also handle knocks, drops and dings without transferring the impact force to the instrument inside, which a padded gig back WILL transfer if the force of impact is hard enough.

Also, the hard-foam cases are not much more expensive than a padded gig bag while still being cheaper than a hard wood case.

IMHO, if the zippers, handle and strap attachment points are all in good shape (as well as the structural integrity being sound), $25 is a good price (I've seen Uke Crazy and similar brands of these canvas covered hard-foam cases for tenor scale ukes sell for $40-50 as new).

edit: there are ALSO gig-bag or "soft-sided" cases sold under the Uke Crazy brand too.

I own two Uke Crazy cases and they're basically a foam triangle covered in polyester cloth. Build is cheap and mine started falling apart quickly: interior parts coming unglued, zipper pulls breaking off and polyester cloth backing flaking off. However, it provides good insolation—like a picnic cooler—if you need to toss your instrument in a hot car: maintains a safe internal temperature for close to an hour. Also, the foam absorbs shock well compared to a wood case if dropped or banged. Just wish they were more durable. I carry my instruments 5 days a week and the Uke Crazy needs to be replaced every two or three years. My gig bags and wood cases last a lot longer.

Uke Crazy is made by Kala. Price for used might be high since if you search uke gig bags, many new ones are that price or lower. One consideration is that your grandchild might want to pick out his/her own gig bag for the same price with a pattern that pleases them (I chose one with owls).

If it's the hard foam case, they are quite good.Had no problems with mine in over year of use.

Do you want all your hard work building the Uke to count for nothing?

A musical instrument in a soft case and a kid is a broken instrument waiting to happen.

Buy a hard case.

Top Bottom