Season 391: Sowing Seeds of Joy

Although I've certainly made difficult videos in the past, recording the video camera screen with the cellphone w meant doing more than I was expecting

An obvious choice for this week:

I couldnt wait recording this till I had time to set up a proper microphone and camera, so It is just smartphone quality.
I would wish that YT hadnt chosen a thumb nail where I look like I am in pain, LOL.

Last edited:
Great season, thanks for hosting Kelley! I've been meaning to learn this Cat Stevens song, and it fits well here this week, so I gave it go. A really fun song to learn and play. I can honestly say, I feel better after having learned it, and played it this evening!

Joy...what is joy to me? Sneaking into the kitchen at dinner time and playing a song. Our kitchen is a galley kitchen (6’x6’) and something about cramming ourselves in there for a one take bash while Mel is actually trying to use it (I also cook...but Mel has yet to take the lead here) makes me laugh from the gut. This is also a crazy happy song that we have messed up and then placed on the internet...

thank you for this week Kelly.
Old Man Luedecke is a Canadian singer-songwriter
who writes music that never fails to pull me out of whatever hole i'm in.
be well brother.
this, a song from his Proof of Love LP (2008).

Here's a boisterous Australian folk song - I always enjoy the fun attitude in this.
About cattle herders (cowboys)...drovers in Australian lingo.And in this case Overlanders. The ones that do the long cattle drives.
Some low tech thigh slapping percussion here too.
Film is also called "The Overlanders".

My second song this week was also inspired by Jill Smith's Spiritual Journey around the Gypsy Switch.

I wrote it to be performed by my folk based band, The Magic Ox Band (starring a very young Steafan Hannigan (Accordion and bagpipes) & Jeannette Ward (Fiddle and Hurdy Gurdy). The recording I used here as a backing track was recorded in front of a single microphone in 1984. When it came to their turn, soloists had to approach the microphone (like in the early days of sound recording). The Magic Ox Band were dedicated to performing songs and music that counteracted the negativity of the Reagan Thatcher Cold war years. This one was among our most popular at the peace camps of the time.

This song deals directly with the path itself. I only ever joined the journey in my imagination, but I did visit Arbor Low to sing this song to the stones (only to be chased away by some very aggressive cows.;) )

Hope you enjoy:

My girlfriend is a Joe Jackson fan - I was not that familiar with his stuff. She took me to see him earlier this year, and I loved the show. This song in particular just knocked me out. I played around with it off and on for a while, but this seemed like the perfect Season to do a recording.

And this goes out to my girlfriend, who has made my life a veritable ocean of joy. We are getting married next week.

celebrating endings, new beginnings, time spent together.
an Old Man Luedecke song via Two Little Woodpeckers.
we hope this brings a big smile. :)

Charles Bukowski said the second best thing in life is a good nights sleep.
Anthony Burgess said Laugh and the world laughs with you, snore and you sleep alone.
Robin Williamson said Nightfall, o river of night flow through me
Washing the thoughts of the day on your waters away
For the morrow that dawns never knew me.
Is you can have a peaceful restful sleep it is a blessing but if you suffer from insomnia it is a curse.
This is a much loved lullaby by Tapio Rautavaara

Cheers for hosting this one Kelly. Short entry, Big message ..........

Down Under - Men at work
Nice subject Kelly

Here it is again... The one from the other day was due to me forgetting my computer's power cord at work.

This is a sailor's song about coming home at the end of a voyage. It's a forbitter, not a shanty. A forbitter is a song sung by sailors for entertainment during their recreation time whereas a shanty was a work song. The pictures were taken round Windermere in the English Lake district and have been "modified" by the wonders of technology.

I heard this song a few days ago on a podcast called Western Music Time, and it made me smile. I like the rhymes, also Ruth Terry could really sing. There's a clip of it from the movie on youtube.

Information about the song after the song.

My Happiness - Powderfinger cover

This has been my most productive week for SotU so far.

Mental Note for me - I got to look and feel more happier when I perform (which I am on the inside :D )

wish I could get rid of my sinus's :-S

Top Bottom