All wood banjolele projects

I sanded to 800 grit and applied 2 coats of oil today...... It's been so dry and hot here in the Texas hill country that both coats soaked in and hardly even had a chance to show me the grain of the wood before it dried right up. Coat 3 and all I can say is "NICE!!!" I'll let it sit overnight and dry sand with 1000 grit. then one more coat of oil (if needed). Then one coat of clear enamel, water slide decals, and one last coat of clear. I could be strings on by monday.... :)

Last edited:
20180531_093253.jpg

BUFFALO NICKEL in gold with white border. LOL

Yeah yeah I know.... I'm kidding. I'm just waiting on the clear to dry then I'll add strings and post pix of the completed ukes. They look fairly classic old school. I did some mild antiquing on them so they will look somewhat like the camp ukes out of the 1920's (kinda sorta). Don't worry I did not take an axe and a torch out on them like I have seen done lately on strats and tellys. I just added a little age to the look in homage to some of the camp ukes I have researched since starting this project.

Last edited:
Here they are all done and stuff LOL The soprano sounds like a uke mixed with a banjo but the concert has more of a guitar with uke overtones sound. Surprising but in a good way. Yes yes I know all of the tuners are right handed. I did not realize until I opened the package. They seem to hold tune pretty good as they sit, so I'll leave them on until I get some left handers. I kept them because my daughter wanted the star tuning ears. Other than the tuners..... I am very happy with my first uke builds.

Last edited:
Nice work, LogDog. You must be very pleased with those!

John Colter

Yay could get the pictures bigger this time! last time just got sign in pages.
Really like how they turned out. When are you sending one to me lol?
Nice job!

John,

Thanks and yes I am pretty happy with the outcome.

captain-janeway,

I just expanded the pictures in my last post. Hope you can see them better now. Thank you not bad for a crippled up old redneck eh? LOL!!! Hmmmm send one out? I have 3 more projects in the works now and at the rate I am going (limitations from the nerve damage in my arms and hands) I'll be lucky to get them done before this time next year. But if you really want one..... When I am done with my other projects and if the upcoming surgeries don't render me unable to do so.... It could happen.....

Here they are all done and stuff LOL The soprano sounds like a uke mixed with a banjo but the concert has more of a guitar with uke overtones sound. Surprising but in a good way. Yes yes I know all of the tuners are right handed. I did not realize until I opened the package. They seem to hold tune pretty good as they sit, so I'll leave them on until I get some left handers. I kept them because my daughter wanted the star tuning ears. Other than the tuners..... I am very happy with my first uke builds.

Well done, they look great.

Hey Dog I was just funnin' ya. They are hella cool.
I love those tuners. Maybe I'll try and find them for my next cookie tin or banjo uke. I kind of like seeing what I can throw together with a dremel, Japanese hand saw, and chisels. Workbench? What workbench? I have a piece of plywood sitting on the fireplace hearth. It's just fun and a couple of them actually play really well.

They're beautiful! Your heart is obviously in your work (I'm guessing these are for your daughters?).

Thank you all for the kindness, interest, and assistance. The concert is my daughter's and the soprano goes in my extensive collection of string sound making oddities LOL!!! I'm a wood carver the makes string instruments. If the operations go well I intend to hand carve a one piece guitar out of a maple log. But for now the dexterity is not allowing. But wood is in my blood. I even carved walnut leftover pieces from a lap steel guitar project to make a unique mail box for my mom.

20171122_133901.jpg

20180424_181611.jpg

Attachments

• 20180418_234731.jpg
    20180418_234731.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Top Bottom