Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: All wood banjolele projects

I like the look. If it sounds as nice..... It's a fine instrument indeed.

Can't wait to see them. I put a soprano neck on one of my 10" pots. They're fun little things.

Looking great! Those will be handy in a bar fight.

John Colter.

Looking forward to finished. Man that thing will be solid!

John,

LOL!!!! I guess I am overkilling on the support structures but in camp ukulele style..... Durability above all LOL!!! Actually they will be used (hopefully) by multi generations in my family so I'm building them to last. But then again ya never know when your going to run into a music critic that requires an attitude adjustment......

Quote Originally Posted by ukantor View Post
    Looking great! Those will be handy in a bar fight.

John Colter.

captain-j,

Your dern tootin they're going to be solid..... I'm even going to use 2 maple dowels for the backbone / neck mounts. I decided on western red cedar for the tops and Honduran mahogany for the backs. They will be much heavier than your average concert uke (maybe 3/4 more) but will still be lighter than most of the banjoleles I have held.

Quote Originally Posted by captain-janeway View Post
    Looking forward to finished. Man that thing will be solid!

Quote Originally Posted by Log Dog View Post
    How thick are the rims, they look about 1/2 inch? I don't see why you would need any other support.
    Kind Regards
    Dennis

dponeil@xtra.co.nz
    Southern Cross Banjo Ukes & Ukuleles
    Proudly Hand Crafted in
    New Zealand.

I'm sorry for taking so long to reply. I just went to Terry Mead's website (http://www.tmeadbanjos.com/Ukuleles.htm) and I see.... I'm glad I am building my own..... Their ukes are uber expensive.... But they are pretty. I'm using the same exact wood as his tenor banjo uke except for the sides. My outlay for 2 concert ukes will be 50 times less than what he asks for one of his. I think I will use his as a template for external design though and go with ProfChris's recommendations for bracing the tops and bottoms and a double dowel body truss ala old time practice banjos. Overkill? Yes but it will be around much longer than I will.... LOL!!!

Have a fine nautical day.....

Quote Originally Posted by SailingUke View Post
    Terry Mead makes these.

Attachment 120670

I now see why everyone is talking about the sturdiness.... LOL!!!! Somehow this website changed the size of the pictures after I uploaded them and sort of fish eyed the images. The outer edges are just a little over 1/4 inch thick with the kerfing and without the kerfing just over 1/8 inch. My apologies for not looking at the pictures closer after posting Hahahahahahaha Side by side the clamps around the rim are actually smaller than shown in the picture and the rim is 10 inches around.... So yes it's a pretty distorted view and looks almost like a beer barrel cut in half LOL!!!!.

Quote Originally Posted by DPO View Post
    How thick are the rims, they look about 1/2 inch? I don't see why you would need any other support.
    Last edited by Log Dog; 08-26-2019 at 10:59 AM.

Thread Information