Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Red oak/ white oak

Quote Originally Posted by tonyturley View Post
    I purchased some QS Red Oak for a tenor from a fellow forum member. The wood arrived today, and I like the looks a lot. I'm thinking of turning the halves of the back so the knot "eyes" are incorporated into the body of the uke. I repackaged the pieces without all the tape and shrink wrap, and I'm going to keep it flat in my shop for a while to let it acclimate. I probably have another two months of work to finish my current twin uke project at the rate I'm going.

I saw Beau Hannam demonstrating a CA pore filling method in a video. I think I'll take a piece of scrap from this wood and experiment with that once I start the build. I'm not planning to completely level the pores, but just give a good base to the final finish.

Attachment 124153
    Glad your wood arrived safe and well. Looking forward to seeing what you cook up with it one day.

Biking today and saw some sections of a log sitting for the taking. Picked them up later and noticed that they were already dry. Split one and defects as you could expect but enough wood to get a concert or two out of it. Mainly firewood though.

Thread Information