REMOVABLE Pick-up

fingerguy

Reaction score
I decided for reasons of my own I am going to get the Outside Ukulele. With that said and to keep the design where it can handle the elements including water I want a removable pick-up.

The main reason for a pick-up is when I decide to do so I want to get the Roland Cube to putz with different sounds and what not.

So, I am in the market for a removable pick-up and note this will also be used on my acoustic guitars (well my GS Mini already has one built in).

You lost me ay guitar. The Kremona UK-1 goes under the tie bridge and does well through this a pre-amp or DI. Probably won’t span the bridge of your mini.

These are the best "removable" type pickups I've used.

I loved them so much that I bought 2.
A single-piezo and a dual-piezo version.

The dual piezo one sounds better.

A little pricey, but I daresay they sound better than most undersaddle pickup systems, both active and passive. Worth every cent.

https://www.peterman.com.au/music3/Acoustic_Guitar_Pickups

kissing, do you use them externally with sticky tack or have you installed them? My guess is that the closest comparison would be to the K&K Aloha Twin. Is that correct? How do they compare?

I use a clip on pickup that cost me $12 and that i attach to the headstock (i accidentally got the violin instead of guitar sort so it gets in the way if i put it in the soundhole). I think the brand is Cherub.

THe trick, and i assume same with the kremona, is to put it through a preamp.I use Behringer AD21.

Horrible on its own, beautiful with a preamp.

Fingerguy, I recently got a "Luvay" brand stick-on disc style pickup from Amazon, for around $18.00. I actually got it for amplifying my classical guitar. I stuck it (with the provided two-sided adhesive tape) just behind the bridge, and I have to say, I'm stunned by how good it sounds, and it seems to produce a nice strong, noise-free signal, straight into my amp. I haven't tried it with a pre-amp yet, but I imagine that would give it an even nicer tone and bump up the power a bit too. Since the cable (which is lightweight) can be unplugged at will from the disc itself, I just leave the disc mounted on the guitar in between uses, and I don't even notice it being there.

A lot of amplifiers have a preamp function so unless you are plugging into a PA system you probably dont need a separate preamp.

I purchased and tried out this single exterior mounted transducer "piezo" pickup with success last week. It was in a studio rehearsal setting and the 1/4 jack plugin directly to the pre-amp board worked well. There's a plastic clip that you can attach with double sided tape to the bottom of my soprano Uke. Used poster tack putty to mount the piezo on the sound board near the bridge. They are very affordable and you can easily remove it and remount it to another uke. http://www.jjb-electronics.com/EXT-100.html

I use a clip on pickup that cost me $12 and that i attach to the headstock (i accidentally got the violin instead of guitar sort so it gets in the way if i put it in the soundhole). I think the brand is Cherub.

THe trick, and i assume same with the kremona, is to put it through a preamp.I use Behringer AD21.

Horrible on its own, beautiful with a preamp.

Just so

kissing, do you use them externally with sticky tack or have you installed them? My guess is that the closest comparison would be to the K&K Aloha Twin. Is that correct? How do they compare?

The external version of this pickup is installed on the soundboard with a removable sticky tack.
The endpin jack slings onto your instrument's endpin (if it has one) or they provide a plunger-type contraption to act like an endpin.

I think it's comparable to the K&K Aloha Twin - very similar technologies.
I prefer the Peterman's a bit as they are handcrafted by a single guy in his workshop and great personal effort has gone into tweaking the output level and tones to closely emulate what a good active pickup sounds like (but it's a passive!)

Recent changes have resulted in my next ukulele will be made out of wood. I still have plan for the Outdoor Ukulele but on hold for now. Not sure if this affects the recommended pick-ups.

Top Bottom