Ukulele Vanity Plates

So sorry to hear you were in that Paradise fire. Is it possible to give them the burnt out licence plates? Was there anything left of them that could show what they were? Since they are stamped, maybe there is enough left for identification so that they are assured you don't have them. I would also ask to speak to a supervisor and contact Newsom's office. It seems so little to ask after you have lost so much. You would be surprised how much can be accomplished by contacting a politician's office.

The Miata burned to the ground to less than 7 inches tall (don't even ask about the LoPrinzi!) so there was nothing left, just ashes, a piece of transaxle and metal puddles where the wheels melted. DMV didn't seem to care (even with a photo): "If we don't have at least one of the plates we can't re-issue..." I'll give Newsom's office a try--great idea! My replacement vehicle is a little white RAV4 that looks like something out of Star Wars from the front, so its personalized plates are TWOOPER. I'd rather have UKALADY, though....

The Miata burned to the ground to less than 7 inches tall (don't even ask about the LoPrinzi!) so there was nothing left, just ashes, a piece of transaxle and metal puddles where the wheels melted. DMV didn't seem to care (even with a photo): "If we don't have at least one of the plates we can't re-issue..." I'll give Newsom's office a try--great idea! My replacement vehicle is a little white RAV4 that looks like something out of Star Wars from the front, so its personalized plates are TWOOPER. I'd rather have UKALADY, though....

Good luck. Remind them, you're just trying to bring some of your normal back to a devastated life. Traumatized survivors deserve a small amount of extra consideration from the DMV. It's the least the DMV, who's point is to serve our communities, can do.

This is from back in 2005. My Miata has the UKALADY plates and I spotted Ken in our little town back then with UKULELE plates so I had to get a photo of the two of us.

Sadly, Ken has passed on and my Miata, the plates and the LoPrinzi soprano I'm holding in my arms all burned up in the Paradise, California fire last November. California DMV won't re-issue the same plates when *both* plates are destroyed because they have no proof you really destroyed them and they may truly exist somewhere out of the system. Geesh... I've used this license plate as years for my avatar, though, and the DMV can't take that away from me!!

View attachment 120532

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cvb45p068rtdphh/ukalady.jpg?dl=0
Sorry to hear that..
maybe “reukalady”?

My first ukulele was a pink Makala Dolphin. That was the beginning of this epic fun journey and my license plate :) E2CEBE9E-80EE-41EF-B1DA-A2F8E4DC0DBD.jpg

Can you add a number? Such as: 1UKALADY, or since it'll be your second plate 2UKALADY. Or UKALADY2? UK4LADY? LADYUKA? OOKALADY? Or some variation?

It won't be quite the same thing. But close.

I asked on another forum and got some answers -

"Noun. uke (plural ukes or uke) (judo, martial arts) The training partner against whom tori performs a move. (Japanese fiction) A passive or submissive male fictional character in a same-sex relationship; a bottom."

I found out the hard way that looking up the hashtag #uke on Instagram led to some unexpected images. Sigh.

Top Bottom