Blackbird Fight! Clara v. Farallon

Thanks for the sample. I had them reversed until I read the differing string sets. Impressive consistency between the two instruments.

I have a Clara (pre-Farallon). I'm very happy with it but have been on a long search for the warmest string setup. Currently I'm running Fremont Blacklines. I think probably some Worth Browns (maybe tenor gauges) next.

Thanks Rich! Enjoyed the comparison.

I had a hard time deciding which was which when listening on my iPad.

I am curious if either instrument had a side sound port? The side sound ports seem to make a significant difference at least on the Farallons.

For this reason and others I don't believe every Farallon or every Clara sounds the same.

Yes, the Farallon does have a side sound port. The Clara is just the regular way. I don't think they have a sound port on Claras

I prefer the farallon. I would not call it muddy at all. It’s more harmonious and blends the notes nicely together. I get that flowing gentle feeling when listened to the finger style playing of the farallon. And great playing btw! Would it be possible to share the tab on this?

The Clara is too punchy and sharp edged for my taste. I think it will do well for a upbeat song. I couldn’t be the only one that prefer the farallon...?

Yes, the balance, may be a bit off. Sometimes, when I'm playing the Clara, I'm surprised by how loud and clear the A string is. It's a really pretty sound, but it is very noticeable. As to the song, I saw Kalei doing a version of this song on one of the HMS videos and I spent many many hours pausing vimeo and trying to watch his fingering to figure it out. I'm like 75% of what he's doing. so, unfortunately, I don't have any tabs. I think the Farallon is a little more balanced. Actually, I enjoyed the sound of the farallon more without the Fremont soloist string. In other words, when I first got it, it had all flurocarbons (including the low g), and I actually liked the sound more. The Fremont soloist added a little twang that seemed off. Not enough to change it again.

Thanks for the sample. I had them reversed until I read the differing string sets. Impressive consistency between the two instruments.

I have a Clara (pre-Farallon). I'm very happy with it but have been on a long search for the warmest string setup. Currently I'm running Fremont Blacklines. I think probably some Worth Browns (maybe tenor gauges) next.

Will the tenor gauge make the tension higher or lower? will the sound therefore be warmer or brighter?

Fun experiment! I listened without reading any of the comments! To me, just listening on my computer speakers they are drastically different. I'd guess Clara first and Farallon second! They are both pleasing in their own way, but the second sound sample is more robust and full. Perhaps because it is louder and has a stronger presence in the low mids, it feels like the mic is being overloaded at times or the instrument itself is barking in that EQ frequency. I own a Farallon, and I have never noticed that happen. Finally I wouldn't be shocked to be totally wrong :)

Top Bottom