Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Comparison of Bb vs C tuning

Default Comparison of Bb vs C tuning

https://youtu.be/upU3FABl5v4

I would be interested to know which sound you prefer on this Tenor Ukulele.
    Clive

Both sound pleasant, but for me the lower tuning is preferable.

John Colter.

I prefer the Bb, but I am biased because my tenors are tuned even lower. One is tuned to D and the other to E. I like to do that because of the tension more than the actual sound.

From this side of the screen, I think they sound about equally good, though I tend to like my tenors in Bb or A for reentrant tuning.
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Flea soprano, C LW
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127

!Flukutronic!

Bb sounds much better to me. I think I've developed a phobia for C tuning though.

I also would pick Bb if I had to choose, though both sounded nice. Lovely playing, and nice uke too.
    Kala KA-TE tenor uke (currently tuned re-entrant gCEA)
    Kala APB-CTG baritone uke (currently tuned DGBE)
    Ohana BK-35CG baritone uke (currently tuned low-octave ADF#B)
    Various guitars, banjos, and basses

For me, C tuning is the Moonbirds sweet spot

I'm still trying to understand chord shapes etc, so If you tuned the uke down a half step like that does that mean you you fret a C chord on the 4th fret of the A string instead of the 3rd? I'm still having a problem with clean barring on the first fret, so then to get a c# I'd have to barre on first fret and then stretch all the way down to 5th fret? I'm probably overthinking it, but I'm trying to figure it out. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by captain-janeway View Post
    I'm still trying to understand chord shapes etc, so If you tuned the uke down a half step like that does that mean you you fret a C chord on the 4th fret of the A string instead of the 3rd? I'm still having a problem with clean barring on the first fret, so then to get a c# I'd have to barre on first fret and then stretch all the way down to 5th fret? I'm probably overthinking it, but I'm trying to figure it out. Thanks.
    Hey Captain,

1) Bb tuning is actually 2 half steps down from C.
    2) With Bb tuning, the way you would play a C chord would be to play the shape for a D chord.
    3) If the uke was tuned 1 half step lower than standard (i.e. B tuning) you would play the shape for a C# chord.

I hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by captain-janeway View Post
    Yes. If you tune to B, a C chord is played 1114. If you tune to Bb to play a C chord you use a D shape, (2220), or 2225 if you want to understand the theory. For every half step lower you need to play a half step higher to compensate. If you tune a full step lower (Bb) some chords can be played using the next higher chord... D for C, E for D, G for F. But where there is only a half step between whole notes E and F, you need to play F# for E. This is much much easier to understand on a piano (black and white keys).

If you use a capo you can place it on the first fret for B tuning, or the second fret for Bb tuning and play the normal chord shapes using the capo position as the ukulele nut.

John
    Last edited by 70sSanO; 08-12-2019 at 01:12 PM.

Thread Information