Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: installing a wound string

Default installing a wound string

I have successfully changed strings on my ukes that have slotted bridges and all I had to learn was to tie a big knot. But one of my ukes has a tie-bar bridge and I want to install a wound string, which I have never done. I figure I will just follow the pattern of the strings that are already installed, but wonder if there any things to consider for a tie-bar, and tips to make sure that the wound string won't unwind prematurely. Thanks.

No real tip other than they can be a bit more difficult because of their thickness. I've found they hold well due to the roughness of the string which grips well in figure 8 tie.

Quote Originally Posted by stevejfc View Post
    No real tip other than they can be a bit more difficult because of their thickness. I've found they hold well due to the roughness of the string which grips well in figure 8 tie.
    Steve nailed it, you will have no issues. The wounds hold the wraps wonderfully, never had one slip
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

I have removed some old wound strings in the past and have found that the silver winding often unravels from the string end and becomes hazardous. I want to make sure that this won't happen when I cut the ends.

I have never had a problem with a tie-bar, but I have had issues with the knot coming undone on wound strings in a slot bridge, before. These days I put a drop of superglue on the knot and let it dry before installing the strings. It might also help you with your unraveling issue. Don't glue the strings after installing them because you might glue them to your uke.

Just put a drop of super glue on the end.

On tie block bridges, you don't have to use a traditional twist tie. I often tie a knot or use a bead:

The advantage of a knot or bead is they don't wear the tie block as much and are less prone to slipping out.

Just allow enough string to tie the knot. A wound string is not as flexible as a nylon.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by gochugogi View Post
    On tie block bridges, you don't have to use a traditional twist tie. I often tie a knot or use a bead:
    The advantage of a knot or bead is they don't wear the tie block as much and are less prone to slipping out.
    Very nice. I'll keep that in mind.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Just put a drop of super glue on the end.
    Thanks. Now at the tuner end how much slack do I need to get a few windings on?

Thread Information