New Super Soprano Building Thread

BuzzBD

Reaction score
I have not done one of these for quite some time now, so now that I am back in the saddle again so to speak, here it goes.

The ukulele being built is a vintage model (Kumalae style) soprano with a concert scale, for a fellow UUer. The body is koa, top is Engelmann spruce with H. mahogany neck and E. Indian rosewood fretboard, bridge and bindings. The koa is from a billet I acquired many years ago and is as heavy and dense as rosewood. The Engelmann spruce for the top is from Idaho and was harvested in July, 1990.

The sequence of events as shown by the pictures are as follows;
The sides are profiled and thickness sanded to .070”.
The sides are bent by hand and fitted into the mold and left overnight.
The ends are trimmed, fitted into assembled mold and end blocks glued in.
The top edge is shaped on the sanding disk, the solid, scalloped Alaska yellow cedar linings are glued in and everything shaped again on the sanding disk.

This is being built in my Cannon Beach shop.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8SPk8dY4QiSuW22B9

Brad

Wow! Thanks for showing the build. These are always a treat.

Is this sop. for yourself or will it be for sale?

This is a custom build for a fellow UU member. He gave me permission to post the thread and will hopefully participate at some point as feedback from the customer on all aspects of the process is invaluable to me.
Brad

I am very excited to see the pictures and descriptions of the build process for the mezzo soprano that Brad is building. Years ago, I was very keen in getting a ukulele built by Brad, but I never had the opportunity when he took a break. I was so happy to see that he's back his shop making his beautiful instruments. A while back, I came across this vintage inspired soprano and discovered it was one of Brad's—I reached out to him to see if I could commission one similar to this, but with a spruce soundboard. I am so psyched to see this take form. Donaldson_mezzo_soprano.jpg

Very cool to see this. I bet this uke is going to be very glamorous and LOUD! Hope to see images and hear audio of it when it's done.

Wow, that is gorgeous figured/flamed koa is spectacular, Brad! It really jumps out from the spruce top. Very nice shape to the body and I love the rosette design as well!

Great process pictures, Brad! The bindings and end graft are making this to be a very handsome instrument! The wood combinations make a lovely contrast. Looking forward to seeing the next stage.

It is a really beautiful instrument Brad. The koa is exceptionally nice with the curl grain and color. I am not a “small uke” guy, prefer tenors and baritones but I would be thrilled to own this one. Thanks for sharing the build and the pictures, it is always most enjoyable

Thanks guys, this has been a fun project. As mentioned, I have strung it up for a test drive. The luthier’s nightmare is to build a pretty instrument that does not sound/play as good as it looks. No worries there, plenty of punch and the intonation is very good. Now to spray it up.
Brad

Top Bottom