Tenor guitar advice

g'est

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm thinking about getting a 4-string tenor guitar and tune it like a baritone ukulele. There aren't any at my local music stores so I can't try them out. Ideally I'd like to spend around 200-300 Euros and I'd be ok with getting a used instrument.

I've looked at Kala, Ashbury, Martin, Ibanez, Blueridge and some other tenor guitars. (Yes, some of them cost a bit more than I'd like to spend.)

I'd be thankful for any suggestions or experiences. And please let me know if you happen to know somebody who'd like to sell a tenor guitar.

Thanks!

Take a look at Pono as well.

They have models for steel and nylon strings with a wider neck that’s more uku-like

I have the nylon strung “Baritone Nui” which I adore in dgbE

When I was buying my tenor guitar, my only criterion was whether or not the fret markers were in the correct, historical positions. Some, but not all, of the Blueridge guitars met that criterion. I went with the bt40t model and I have absolutely no complaints. It has great sustain, it is easy to chord, and can be very loud. Being a tenor guitar, it has the tenor guitar's liabilities: the twanginess of sound and that odd neck (narrow but thick).

Remember a tenor guitar usually has a 1 1/4" wide neck vs. 1 13/8" for baritones. I had a, what I call, a contra baritone built. It's the body size of a tenor guitar with a 1 3/8" wide neck,23" scale and in nylon rather than steel.

Thank you all for the advice!

One of the main reasons I'd rather get a tenor guitar than a baritone ukulele is that I'd like it to sound more different from my tenor ukulele. For that reason I'm mainly interested in steel string instruments.

I have the Kala tenor guitar, steel strings, and enjoy it very much. I’ve had for about three years now and it’s done just fine for me. I keep it tuned in fifths, CGDA, which is how it comes.

Since it looks like you're in Europe, check out the Eden Origin Tenor from World of Ukes. I have an electro and I love it, really great and well in your price range.

Top Bottom