Help with fingering options

M3Ukulele

Reaction score
I’m working on a piece and two chords are giving y arthritis hands problems. (G)

First Am7 3342. I try to bar index at second fret, flatten out second finger to hit 33 on first, and second strings and then use third finger to hit 4th note on third string. Is that correct? Issue I have is I can flatten down second finger to block 3 and 3 on first and second string.

My finger just won’t do it. Suggestions?

Second chord is Bm7 which should be same bar moved up two frets.

Any help. I see this chord in video but an challenged to flatten my second finger to hit thee first two notes.

Thanks.

What tuning are you using? In C tuning (GCEA) the two chords you ask about are about as easy as it gets.

Am7 = all open strings = 0000
and
Bm7 = barre 2nd fret = 2222

Please tell me if I'm missing something in your questions.

that minor 7 shape is one of my favorites since I made it easier for me. I have the same fingering issues as you, Here's my workaround: instead of 2433, play X433. I play it by barring with my index finger the first three strings, but make sure the tip of the finger touches the G string so that it is muted. Then with some other finger (I use the ring finger), fret the 4th fret of the C string. That creates a rootless Am7 which sounds good. Of course, the shape is movable, so just move it up two frets and you have your Bm7

that minor 7 shape is one of my favorites since I made it easier for me. I have the same fingering issues as you, Here's my workaround: instead of 2433, play X433. I play it by barring with my index finger the first three strings, but make sure the tip of the finger touches the G string so that it is muted. Then with some other finger (I use the ring finger), fret the 4th fret of the C string. That creates a rootless Am7 which sounds good. Of course, the shape is movable, so just move it up two frets and you have your Bm7

Ahhh!! Nice sound. Both suggestions add flavor to the chord instead of just the open fingering. Thanks for broadening my viewpoint.

M3Ukulele - I've found the "The Ukulele App" by the Ukulele Teacher as a great resource when I'm looking for alternate chord fingerings. In his tools section he has a Chord Library and a Chord Finder. In the 'library' you select the chord name and it gives you 1-to-n ways of fingering that chord. In the 'finder' you place your finger positions on the frets and it tells you the chord (or "no chord").

First, it's usually written 2433.

You can also get a passable Am7 with 2030. It's missing the fifth but you can alternate 2000 and 2030 if you like.
4220 Bm7 also. An easy and cool alternate is 4200, really Bm11

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Jim, thank you for correcting me on how to express the cord. I wasn’t aware we always express from 4thstring down to first. Ripock, to progress on song, I did leave the root off and played x422 and it was fine. Fingerguy, The video link is great, learned something else. Alternate fingering is great.

Thanks to all. This is why I love ukulele and UU so much. Everyone is so helpful.
Cheers

Just suggesting another way of finger position,
1. Pointer: Bar 2nd fret
2. Middle: A string 3rd fret
3. Ring: E string 3rd fret
4. Pinky: C string 4th fret

I originally did the way you are doing now but experience the same problem. Now I could do it. It’s not hard but not easy either. Hope it’s helpful to you.

Top Bottom