Which Worth Strings for a Concert Flea?

Pixiegod

Reaction score
I recently acquired a nice Concert Flea (used). It has a metal wound Low-G on it, and some dark fluorcarbons on it. I would like to put some new strings on then, because the sound a bit muffled (the metal-wound probably is not a problem, because the uke has a wooden fretboard, but I still want to get rid of it).
I like the idea of Low-G on this Uke. I am a fan of Worth strings, but I am wonderig whether to get the CM-LG or BM-LG. The Flea has a good ring, so I am leaning towards the BM. Or will that muffle it too much? What do you guys think? Thanks for your input.

I have Worth browns on a concert Flea in re-entrant tuning, and I like the sound & feel of them. Give the LG set a try, it's pretty cheap to experiment with different string sets.

I have tried both low G of the tenor scale on the same uke. They are different but not that much of a difference except for the tonal quality. The brown set is more dark tone but definitely not mellow. I would think the choice should consider the top sound board material as well. For my own preference, I would use the brown on koa, cedar, spruce. Whereas the clear is used on a mahogany top. So feel free to get a bunch of strings and try them out. You will know it once you hear them yourself. Just my 2 cents worth and hope it helps.

I have the Brown ones on my Tenor Fluke.
I dont find the sound muffled.
The low G can sound a bit wobbly, or what to call it when it is like the uke is not really build to generate the deep notes. But I guess that is hard avoid with the light plastic build, I doubt the Clears would make a difference.

Disclaimer:
On the one uke where I tried both the clear and Brown strings, I could only barely tell the difference, and I never tried clear low G, so perhaps my impression is not that usable.

Well, thanks everybody for the great input! I ordered a Worth BM-LG now. I have the clear on some soprano ukes (Brueko Nr. 6, Koaloha Sopran), normal browns on a Luna concert (EX-MB) and the BT-LG on a cheap Lanikai Tenor -- so far my only Low_G in the herd. The tenor is a bit stretchy for my small hands, so I am looking forward to putting the new strings on the concert Flea now. Will report once they are here and i had time to play them in.

Last edited:
Very interested to hear how they went?
Did the low G string fit?
Did you use the light or medium gauge strings?
I’m thinking of doing the same but have read where a low g string may not fit if you have the plastic fretboard?

Hi, let me tell you a funny story! I perused the board as usual, and this thread caught my interest. I read it through, and more and more I thought, this guy seems to have the same question I had a while ago. Then I checked again and saw: I was the OP! Very funny. I also read that I promised some feedback, but never actually followed up. So here is my little report back.

The Worth BM-LG 46 fit nicely, and I still have those strings on there. They sound full and ringy, have a dark and mellow sound that sings. The Flea being a concert, it maybe lack the typical soprano attack, and the Worth Browns probably also contribute to that. But I like these strings a lot on this instrument. With the great playability of the Flea, I think this is my favorite instrument which I have in the living room all the time. Complimenting it are-- changing -- ukes in re-entrant tuning.

I made a little recording with my Zoom H2, please pardon the few stumbles in this short take, but I didn't want to record it x times. Hope it may give you some idea how the Flea resonates well.

https://soundcloud.com/user-837891883/sample-flea-concert-with-worth-bm-lg-46

Last edited:
Thanks so much for that info, you play beautifully, sounded absolutely lovely.
I’m glad you perused the thread again! Very funny

@Patty2shoes
I perused the thread thanks to you, because you left a new message! Thus, it appeared in the list that you get when you use the "What's New" button in the forum. Thanks for your kind words, it's really a one-take, with a few stumbles, nothing special. I might record something soon and post it, so you can have a little more sample sounds from the Flea with the Worth Browns on them. To answer your concern about Low G on a plastic fretboard: The main concerns with Low-G strings and plastic fretboards is when you use a (metal) wound Log-G string. This can, as I hear, damage the frets, because the plastic is not as durable as the metal and can wear down. The Worth LG sets (be it light or brown) do not have wound LG strings, the are just fluorcarbon. You should not have a problem using these on your plastic fretboard.

@ukecaster
Cool! Really like the idea that maybe my little rudimentary Malaguena inspired you to try Brown LG strings on your Flea!

Last edited:
I also agree with Martin M600 which I had them put on my concert flea when I ordered it straight from the company. I was not sorry. I felt it really brought out the flea and comfortable to play.

Very nice sound track...just bought a flea soprano and was worried it might sound plastics. Not any more.

I would buy the BM regular high G set and then get the single Brown low G. Set the high G aside, and try out the low G. That way, if you don’t like it just swap it out without wasting the whole string set. The low G is gauged the same across the BL, BM and BT sets, same as the single.

Very nice sound track...just bought a flea soprano and was worried it might sound plastics. Not any more.

Thanks Oldtimer! The Flea might be a uke with plastic body, but that does not mean it sounds plastic. There is a big Flea/Fluke fan/appreciation thread on this forum too (with lots of good suggestions), check it out. Would be interesting to hear from you when you get your Flea, too.

Will do Dada. The flea has arrived with titanium string, I’m guessing as they have purple hue. Sounds sweet and mellow only the A string seems a little too muted, mellow. So I have some Worth BMs coming. I’ll update after they get here. This Uke is for one of my grand sons, I’d like it to have a little sparkle when he gets it. I might just change the A string and see what that does.

People sometimes use Worth strings to „mellow out“ the sound of a uke, because Worths usually have a very warm sound. Many also say the Flea is quite dominant. That is why, to me, Worths and Fleas (and probably also Flukes, but I don‘t have one) are a good match. If you prefer a more aggressive sound („sparkle“?), perhaps you would prefer Martin M600s.

The thing is, there is no right or wrong with strings usually, it is really all a matter of taste. What I like might be off for someone else. And not all ukes of the same make and type don‘t sound the same either (although the Flea might be a bit more consistent due to the manufacturing process). At any rate, looking forward to your string try-outs!

Last edited:
Well, after the WB M A string which tension was too high in relation to the other strings. I tried an A’Quila clear nylon on the A string. And again the tension was higher than the titanium strings. I ended putting the titanium A string back as it is a little softer tension. The WB was crisper, more ring. The nylon was ok but way tighter tension, sounded about half way between the WB and titanium as far as brightness. But I decided as this is for a 6year old grandson will likely have better success with the softer strings.
I didn’t have the Martin Premiums available so did not give them a go but maybe in the future will try them.

Top Bottom