NUD (finally!): Cordoba Baritone

apdsqueaky

Reaction score
After pining over a baritone for years, I finally bit the bullet and made my decision, sight unseen. My new Cordoba 23B arrived today from Elderly Instruments. Needless to say I spent all of yesterday and today refreshing the tracking page (and actually jumped out of my seat when I got the delivery text).

The top of the box was a little squashed (maybe could've used a bit more reinforcement/padding), but the uke is not harmed at all. I had a pair of strap pins installed and got a spare set of strings, but I haven't put them on yet.

The uke sounds great! I'm so thrilled. The action is maybe just a smidge too low and I get fret buzz on certain chords (although part of that is also because I have to get used to the baritone stretch again - my fretting hand is all over the place right now).

Many thanks to the staff at Elderly for patiently putting up with 100 questions and to everyone on this forum, particularly those who commented with suggestions on my first thread.

20190814_114922.jpg

Nice. Cordobas are a good value imo. They don't tend to be the loudest but in my experience they have even volume and an overall good tone, and also a comfortable neck. That's more than I can say about many other ukes in their price range. Should be a lot of fun, and I bet that even if you buy a higher-end one in the future you'll still hold on to this one.

Nice! Enjoy it, and congrats.

Congrats!

Unless you gave Elderly specific instructions for a super low action, i highly doubt that is the case. When I got my baritone guitalele from them last year, they indicated their normal target for this "class" of instrument is about 3mm. I requested a lower action of about 2.5mm, which they did, and there were no issues with fret buzz.

When you get the buzz, I suggest trying to fret each note in the chord individually and see if you still get the buzz. If not, the problem is likely fretting technique like not close enough to the fret or not enough pressure on a string, etc.

Oooh nice! Solid ovangkol top. I bet it sounds wonderful. I’ve grown quite fond of my Cordoba 24B after changing to reentrant tuning. No changes needed on my Cordoba 24T, however, that was love at first strum. I’m still thinking of getting one in the concert size as well.

Cordoba deserves a lot more attention than they get, in my opinion. They do a fine job of making great ukes at a moderate price range. They’re light and responsive and the ones I’ve played have all sounded great. They also carve a very player friendly neck.

Thanks again, everyone! It definitely is an excellent instrument for the price. I think the volume is just right - not too loud and not too quiet, and it sounds lovely. My friend and I are going to meet up and jam next week, so I am very much looking forward to that.

Congrats!

Unless you gave Elderly specific instructions for a super low action, i highly doubt that is the case. When I got my baritone guitalele from them last year, they indicated their normal target for this "class" of instrument is about 3mm. I requested a lower action of about 2.5mm, which they did, and there were no issues with fret buzz.

When you get the buzz, I suggest trying to fret each note in the chord individually and see if you still get the buzz. If not, the problem is likely fretting technique like not close enough to the fret or not enough pressure on a string, etc.

I'm just used to higher action I think. I'll get used to it. I'm pretty sure the buzzing is just an issue with fretting technique and getting used to the baritone again, because when I adjust my fingers slightly, the buzz usually goes away (the D string is usually the culprit, and I suspect my short and weak ring finger is having a bit of a struggle). I'm pretty sure I had similar issues when I first started learning the concert - fingers occasionally fretting in slightly the wrong place, resulting in all sorts of wonky notes. The kinks will work themselves out in time, I'm sure.

Congrats!
I really like the color of the wood.
I think Cordoba makes the most comfortable necks around.

Congratulations on a great looking Baritone. I own a Córdoba 22T and agree with others on Córdoba’s great feeling neck, nice workmanship and great sounding ukuleles at reasonable pricing.

Enjoy,

Steve.

Top Bottom