Martin OXK

Wet-Skunk

Reaction score
Did Martin discontinue the OXK Soprano?

Also, Martin has discontinued the 2M Concert and 2M Tenor.

Jim

Hmmm. You can still find them online. The one I owned was set up perfectly out of the box (as was my C1K). If you're interested in one, I recommend them.

Bamboos are gone too. Hope they are coming up with new lines as well.

I just bought an OXK from my local music shop Menchey's for $299. Last one in stock.

Yeah, people hated the Edsel. Probably still did when Ford stopped making them. Time will tell if the OXK goes down in infamy or....

Yes.

I just got an email for their "new in the fall" models and anxiously scrolled through hoping for some ukulele news, alas, no new models announced.
Hopefully in January.

Yeah, people hated the Edsel. Probably still did when Ford stopped making them. Time will tell if the OXK goes down in infamy or....

The OXK is a fine instrument, impervious to conditions that might have a harmful effect on wood. I had one for a while, and a friend has one.

Or, "Martin stopped production, so it mustn't be much good." That's not my opinion, but when something goes out of production, it's hard to predict how the public will react.

I agree. People will make a correlation between it being a HPL ukulele and it's discontinuation, and assume it was a failure.

Also, Martin has discontinued the 2M Concert and 2M Tenor.

Jim

Wow! I didn't know Martin delisted more ukes.

Sad that the Bamboos are gone! That's my go-to travel uke. I bring my Bamboo uke on vacation and on any trip to Europe.

From the Martin site, the remaining ukes are:

* Konter Uke
* 1T IZ Tenor
* T1K
* C1K
* 2K Concert
* 2K Tenor
* S1

I had an OXK and it was fantastic but a bit heavy. I gave it away to a musician. The Bamboo (2017) was a better repacement and I still have it now and use it but now it's not being made anymore. Too bad. I never liked the soprano 2K. It was too loud. Though, the soprano 2 mahogany is still a fav. that I have and play a lot. The style 2 tenor was too booming and I gave it away. The 2K tenor is my fav. tenor uke that I play to this day. I also have style 3 and it is very loud and I rarely play it. Never played a style 3K or 5K.

I have a T1K and it's great and a 2K concert as well. I never liked the style 2 concert in mahogany. Gave it away. I've played someone's C1K and it is great. I had an S1 and it as great but gave it away since the style 2 was better.

So, in the end... Martin has kept most of the ukes I think are best (except for the style 2 soprano). I still want to buy a Konter uke and I don't need any more tenors like the IZ.

Petey

Maybe Martin put a plan into action: Make a variety of models and see what sells and then adjust the product range to suit?
Currently Martin have the T1k, C1k and S1 all under US$700. Theres a nice market segment to be in?
Its hard to compete with the HPL ukes being made in Asia.
It is a shame that they have not consulted the UU experts to get approval, but business is business.

Yes, Bill. Business is indeed business. I have to admit spending $350 on my first S-0 was easy to do, but not spending $1100 on my first style 2! It was a gamble and I only did it because my mother died and left me a couple of grand in life insurance. Not a lot but I wanted to honor her memory by buying a new Martin uke. When I got it, that led me to buy more with any savings I had. So, I ended up with a truckload of the new Martins. I just had to sort out what was good and what was not.

I do find it funny that the Martins I have and liked best are the ones still being made. I will never need a 5K. Though, I just phoned my local Martin dealer in Canada here and wondering about a Konter Uke. I would like one of those! Stay tuned!!

Petey

I just phoned my local Martin dealer in Canada here and wondering about a Konter Uke. I would like one of those!

I found a used Konter at Elderly, and I'm glad I didn't think about it too long. Actually, someone on UU told me that it was available. Aside from having a great sound and a wonderful smell, it's a bit of history. Sure, it's a copy, but I'd rather have this than the original. It's tough and durable, and the signatures are easy to read. I also got a book about the Konter, which I am finding very interesting.

I found a used Konter at Elderly, and I'm glad I didn't think about it too long. Actually, someone on UU told me that it was available. Aside from having a great sound and a wonderful smell, it's a bit of history. Sure, it's a copy, but I'd rather have this than the original. It's tough and durable, and the signatures are easy to read. I also got a book about the Konter, which I am finding very interesting.

I keep thinking about your Konter, and the one I played at Summer NAMM was a lovely ukulele (better sounding than the 5K, in my opinion). And I know you did get a very good discount on the instrument as it was very lightly used. Since learning about that ukulele, I've had some additional thoughts. They did spend some money doing deep analysis with the Smithsonian to actually bring out each signature...so you're right...the replica actually has better signatures than the original. And it does take some time to laser engrave all of those signatures...which may need to be done before the ukulele is put together. But I sort of wish the price point included a donation to some cause on Martin's part, as well as a copy of that book on the Konter ukulele.

But if you're buying one of those ukuleles, you probably aren't worried too much about the price.

I've said this before, but I'd love to see Ohana make a replica of the Konter out of Mahogany...at about 1/10th of the price.

Hi Jerry. Thanks for the detailed info. I love the historical angle as well. Ever since it was introduced, my UAS has been restless and I wanted one. It's interesting that Choirguy said it sounds better than a 5K. I've bought all of the new Martin ukes except an IZ, C1K, style 3K and 5K. This thread about the OXK and the mention of Martin not making certain ukes anymore made me jump into the fray so I officially ordered one from my local Martin dealer this afternoon in Canada! I had to pay the entire price up-front and it is non-refundable. They consider it almost as a custom uke order. I have no worries about its quality and luving this Konter uke. BTW - what is this book you are talking about? I would like to get a copy. Thanks, fellow Konter uke owner!!!

Petey

Top Bottom