Martin OXK

I think Martin needed to differentiate their ukulele lineup and the OX in all builds was just to close to the all-wood S1 in price point. I think in retail there was about $80 difference and most thought the S1 in all solid mahogany was worth the extra cost. This is pure conjecture on my part but it would be interesting to see sales numbers of these models to see how they compared.

Jim

Whatever the discussion points, it appears that now the OXK style ukes are discontinued.
Obviously serious Martin collectors will need to think about getting one (of each?) if they want to boast about a credible collection of Martin ukes. Has anyone started to collate the serial numbers and any identifying features to work out the batches? These ukes are going to last 1000 years if they are not damaged, and they wont need as much care as solid wood. They would make an amazing heirloom, you just need to get over the stage where they are thought of as low cost kitchen bench material ukes.

The ukes will definitely last 1000 years but not us according to news. I’m getting a safe and put my martins inside along with some of my favourite song sheets. Some day, an alien or intelligent being is getting a nice surprise there.

https://www.livescience.com/65633-climate-change-dooms-humans-by-2050.html

I had the opportunity to try one for a bit. They are a bit hefty feeling. That does make them feel somewhat indestructible. A Martin rep told me that because they are glued the same as a standard wood instrument you would have to be careful of temperature extremes as well. As far as sound, they do sound good and well balanced, although not quite like a wooden instrument. They seem a little boxy sounding to my ears. They are a good instrument, but I could see they may not fit everyones needs or tastes.
Ah yeah. I hadn't even thought about the glue. I think the only one I might leave in a hot car is an Outdoor Ukulele...but I never even did that with those when I had them.
For me, it seemed to be something with the C string in particular that bugged my ears when strumming with the OX...It was a bit better with some strings but still I couldn't get over it. It was almost a steel drum-ish type sound...hard to describe. I'm the only person I know of that it has ever disagreed with like that sound-wise...so to each his her/own for sure. I'm glad we have a lot of choices.

Someone mentioned the S1...I remember seeing recently the OXK going for 379 in places where the S1 was 419....So great point there. I also had an S1 once. I think that is a really great instrument. I think I sold it to try something else as I was on a spree of that. I wouldn't mind having another one of those S1's someday though. I didn't dislike anything about the one I had that I remember.

Last edited:
This is begging for a Uranus joke. [Talk about hijacking a thread!] :)

I often wonder if maybe we should officially start pronouncing Uranus to sound like "you RAN us"-- just to avoid the snickering that inevitably starts whenever the poor planet's name is mentioned! And I'm probably one of the worst offenders! On the other hand, a little snickering makes life more fun! :)

I often wonder if maybe we should officially start pronouncing Uranus to sound like "you RAN us"-- just to avoid the snickering that inevitably starts whenever the poor planet's name is mentioned! And I'm probably one of the worst offenders! On the other hand, a little snickering makes life more fun! :)

Most people now say "YOUR-an-us," except to be funny.

Hahahahaha! Yes! By the way, not to further hijack this thread, but I often wonder why the Martin S-0 (made in Mexico) doesn't seem to get much love. I recently picked one up for around $225, and I am really liking it. I like its non-extended fretboard, and its "fatter" frets. I have Martin M-600 strings on it, tuned to aDF#B, and it has a wonderful voice and intonates very accurately. Granted, it is built without any kind of "lining" inside, so I worry a little about the top or back separating off from the sides, but it seems really fine so far, and is feather-light. Simple and elegant. If I were to have just one ukulele, this would probably be it.

Hey , I'm a big fan of the underrated Martin SO. I like them so much I have 2 . I leave one on my coffee table all year round , I've done this for at least 10 years with no problems.
I have vintage Martins , the SO is the one I play the most .

Awesome! Thanks, Pete! Mine bears the serial number 12,437. If you or anyone might have an idea as to what year this might have been made, I'd sure be interested to know that. Otherwise, I once again apologize for side-tracking the thread, and wish everyone a great Sunday!

Wauw! Ik wist niet dat Martin meer ukes verwijderde.

Jammer dat de bamboe weg is! Dat is mijn favoriete reis-uke. Ik neem mijn Bamboo uke mee op vakantie en op elke reis naar Europa.

Van de Martin-site zijn de resterende ukes:

* Konter Uke
* 1T IZ Tenor
* T1K
* C1K
* 2K-concert
* 2K Tenor
*S1

Ik had een OXK en het was fantastisch, maar een beetje zwaar. Ik heb het weggegeven aan een muzikant. De Bamboo (2017) was een betere vervanger en die heb ik nog steeds en gebruik hem nu maar wordt niet meer gemaakt. Jammer. Ik heb de sopraan 2K nooit leuk gevonden. Het was te luid. Hoewel, de sopraan 2 mahonie is nog steeds een favoriet. die ik heb en veel speel. De stijl 2 tenor was te booming en ik gaf het weg. De 2K tenor is mijn favoriet. tenor uke die ik tot op de dag van vandaag speel. Ik heb ook stijl 3 en het is erg luid en ik speel het zelden. Nooit een stijl 3K of 5K gespeeld.

Ik heb een T1K en het is geweldig en ook een 2K-concert. Ik hield nooit van het concert in stijl 2 in mahonie. Gaf het weg. Ik heb iemands C1K gespeeld en het is geweldig. Ik had een S1 en die was net zo geweldig, maar gaf hem weg omdat de stijl 2 beter was.

Dus uiteindelijk... Martin heeft de meeste ukes behouden waarvan ik denk dat ze de beste zijn (behalve de stijl 2 sopraan). Ik wil nog steeds een Konter uke kopen en heb geen tenoren zoals de IZ meer nodig.

Petey
I'm looking for the new price for the New style 2 soprano.

I was listening to my son read a book to my grandson and he pronounced it YER-an-us.

My 40-something cardiologist calls my heart condition AN-jin-ah. I bet medical schools got tired of the an-JINE-a jokes.

No worries, there are plenty of fun pronunciations left for bad jokes.

I was listening to my son read a book to my grandson and he pronounced it YER-an-us.

My 40-something cardiologist calls my heart condition AN-jin-ah. I bet medical schools got tired of the an-JINE-a jokes.

No worries, there are plenty of fun pronunciations left for bad jokes.
Hahahahahaha! You are so right ! I'm laughing out loud here, Z, at those phonetic offerings of yours!

Top Bottom