Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Martin OXK

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    Mine's arriving tomorrow, also from a Reverb seller - Music123.
    Just a little FYI, in case you didn't know and for future reference: That company is owned by Guitar Center, just like Musician's Friend and some others.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar...r#Acquisitions

If I go that route I prefer M.F. because you can almost always get a discount by calling in...sometimes by just entering a code...

Sorry if this has been mentioned already, I haven't read the whole thread but right now:
    https://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk...37875000002000
    A red one can be had from there. Enter code "labor19" and get 10% off ($47.85) for a total of $271.15 with free shipping.
    That is at the time I'm typing this. Things can change in a hurry. Maybe a good deal for somebody here.

Just keep in mind with any of those mentioned above you are getting an instrument that is received then shipped back out without even so much as opening the box to inspect it usually. I know M.F. has a great return policy though, so the others might as well.
    Last edited by jer; 08-28-2019 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jer View Post
    Just a little FYI, in case you didn't know and for future reference: That company is owned by Guitar Center, just like Musician's Friend and some others.

If I go that route I prefer M.F. because you can almost always get a discount by calling in...sometimes by just entering a code.
    Sorry if this has been mentioned already, I haven't read the whole thread but right now:
    A red one can be had from there. Enter code "labor19" and get 10% off ($47.85) for a total of $271.15 with free shipping.
    That is at the time I'm typing this. Things can change in a hurry. Maybe a good deal for somebody here.

Just keep in mind with any of those mentioned above you are getting an instrument that is received then shipped back out without even so much as opening the box to inspect it usually. I know M.F. has a great return policy though, so the others might as well.
    Thanks for the info. That's interesting. I paid $240 delivered, so I'm satisfied, and I like the natural color. I'm looking forward to its arrival tomorrow.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

FYI, there's a brand new, nice looking OXK on eBay now for $218 shipped.

It's too bad they never made these in concert size, that would have been a cool model.
    John

I orginally wanted a lime green one but I am glad I have the Natural.

Petey

I got mine right after they came out, and I've loved it since day one. Plays and sounds at least as good as my S1 and I have it hanging in my middle school classroom (since it's nigh-invulnerable). Kind of a bummer but not super surprised as it's kind of a weird niche - like if you want an everywhere uke, you can get an Outdoor or a Waterman for way less, and if you want a Martin it's not like an S1 or a C1K are crazy $ and they feel a bit more "classic".
    For sure glad I've got mine though now!
    4strings4lyfe!
    Kamaka HF-3
    Martin S1, T1K, & OXK
    Kala baritone, WaterMan, & U-Bass
    50's West German upright bass
    Fodera Monarch bass

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    Thanks for the info. That's interesting. I paid $240 delivered, so I'm satisfied, and I like the natural color. I'm looking forward to its arrival tomorrow.
    Awesome. I like the natural color too. Enjoy!
    The natural and the green are my faves.. I had a green once but let it go.

Quote Originally Posted by jer View Post

If I go that route I prefer M.F. because you can almost always get a discount by calling in...sometimes by just entering a code...

That is how I bought my OXK. It was a Black Friday sale and there was 30 percent off. I called in to talk to a rep at Musician's Friend and received the discount. Ended up paying about $225. The OXK was still sealed in the Martin box. MF just put it inside one of their boxes for shipping to me.
    - Laura

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    FYI, there's a brand new, nice looking OXK on eBay now for $218 shipped.

It's too bad they never made these in concert size, that would have been a cool model.
    That one seems to be gone. There is one for $299 and another for $399. Some people don't think very much about pricing. Would a buyer think that the one for $399 is better?
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

If it is HPL with the appearance of Bamboo applied to the surface, then the pricing of these ukes is difficult to understand. I have a Chinese made HPL soprano that I keep in the car. It is well made. It sounds very decent, and plays well after a little adjustment of the string height. It cost me less than 30 delivered. When I told a friend that the body was not made of wood, he did not believe me and peered at it intensely trying to prove me wrong!

If the Martin HPL ukuleles are made in North America, then I would expect a considerable price difference - but over ten times more? OK, if it carries the hallowed Martin name, that's worth paying a few more spondulicks, but not that much.

John Colter.

I mean like anything, you're paying for the name, the brand's story, and your own (limited) understanding of the process and the people involved.
    The Martin name is, as you say, hallowed, and a few hundred bucks makes it a lot easier to "buy into" it than if you were buying a 3K or something. The Mexican Martin factory is also well-regarded for their quality.

I definitely hear what you're saying, but it's the same phenomenon with everything, from green beans to ukuleles to cars - pricing never reflects what the thing IS so much as what the market will bear based on its perception.
    And I guess in this case your view has proven accurate if the model is discontinued!
    4strings4lyfe!
    Kamaka HF-3
    Martin S1, T1K, & OXK
    Kala baritone, WaterMan, & U-Bass
    50's West German upright bass
    Fodera Monarch bass

Thread Information