Aloha from Harrow, Ontario

Scarlett Echo

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am a brand new ukulele player from Canada.
I started out with a soprano but my son took that one over and I now have two tenors.
Learning to play alone and with family members. Hubby has a soprano. Stepdaughter has a pineapple.

In the past I played piano and organ as a kid. Clarinet in elementary and high school.
Tried bass guitar in my 30s but I was already chronically ill and could not continue. Too heavy....triggered pain.

When my stepdaughter took up her pineapple, I thought it was a great way to throw myself back into music.

Need better strings on my Donner. My Leho stays tuned so well and has an incredibly sweet sound. What strings should I throw on my cheapie?

Also, anyone else have a challenge choosing a strumming style? Not the patterns but the hand/finger choice? Thumb down, index finger up sound the best but I need a more precise position.

Lurked here for a while. Hoping to learn a lot here. ��

Last edited:
Hello from Windsor.....say S.E. Have you joined the Windsor Uke Circle...we meet last Sunday of the month.

Just wondering is the fair still on this year and when...

Thanx, Rp

Hi S.E., you can check out the Facebook page and join. There are about 50 members. The UU site, however, is a tremendous information site and the members are extremely helpful....so welcome.

Hi S.E., this months Windsor Ukulele Circle has moved up a day due to the holiday to August 31st, which is a Saturday, from 5 pm to 7pm. It is held at the Chapter Two Brewing Company on Edna Street just off of Walker Road heading towards Wyandotte. I think Walker runs all the way from Harrow, does it not?

Welcome from another Canadian. Joining a Uke Jam is the way to go, that’s how I got started.......and addicted. As far as strings go there is not much choice in Canadian retail stores. Long and McQuad does sell Aquila which are a good quality string. Just as a point of information strings are uke size specific so if you own a soprano get soprano strings, concert concert strings etc.

Welcome. I have a Donner also. Just got it last week. Donner has its own brand of strings. Find they are rather light. Maybe you will like Aquila’s. It seems you have your own ukulele group right at home. You will lots of things to see and do here.

Which Donner did you get?

Last edited:
Top Bottom