Thread: Hello from Los Angeles...been lurking for years, finally posting!

Default Hello from Los Angeles...been lurking for years, finally posting!

Hey Everyone!

I've been a lurker here for a few years. Picked up a Mainland mahogany concert in 2016 after my son was born. I had some bad post-partum depression and thought strumming happy songs and singing to my son might help. It was definitely very therapeutic!!

I've learned everything from UU and online tutorials. Chasing a toddler around means I haven't been able to practice as much as I'd like, but I am looking to learn more and to start actively participating in these forums.

Also looking for any practice groups or connections in the Los Angeles area, if anyone knows of any

Take care,
    ~Rose

Welcome to UU Rose
    Happy just to be a Newbie +, Penny

Welcome Rose!

Welcome to the UU, Rose. You were wise to take up the ukulele after your son was born. Making music, especially on a stringed instrument, is often highly therapeutic. And with the ukulele, it's also just plain fun. :-) Best of luck with your musical journey!
    Jan D
    KoAloha KCM-00 (koa concert)
    KoAloha Opio KCO-10 (acacia concert)
    Thormahlen Yew-kulele (yew concert)
    Kala KA-SLNG (long neck soprano)
    Flight TUS35 (blue soprano)
    UKES LOOKING FOR A NEW HOME:
    *Ohana TK-35CG (mahogany tenor w/cutaway)
    *Snail SUC (solid top mahogany concert)

Welcome Rosie from another Angelean. Even if you play for just 15 minutes a day, that's good. In what part of the city are you? I play my uke with an acoustic group on Sundays in a park in Culver City from 12 to 2, all levels are welcome; guitars, mandolin, lap steel, ukuleles, about 8 to 12 people. Atwater Village has the Pluckin' Strummers, U-Space in Little Tokyo has regular sessions. The leader of my seniors uke group gives group lessons at Boulevard Music in Culver City and she also gives private one-on-one lessons.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
    9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers
    Last edited by kohanmike; 08-16-2019 at 06:30 AM.

[QUOTE=kohanmike;2172733]Welcome Rosie from another Angelean. Even if you play for just 15 minutes a day, that's good. In what part of the city are you? I play my uke with an acoustic group on Sundays in a park in Culver City from 12 to 2, all levels are welcome; guitars, mandolin, lap steel, ukuleles, about 8 to 12 people. Atwater Village has the Pluckin' Strummers, U-Space in Little Tokyo has regular sessions. The leader of my seniors uke group gives group lessons at Boulevard Music in Culver City and she also gives private one-on-one lessons.

Thank you so much for these resources! I'm in the East Hollywood/Los Feliz area. My biggest challenge is I work nightshifts on the weekends so I miss a lot of the group meetups. I'm hopeful I can find some folks to strum with during the week sometime, or maybe I'll look for a teacher!

Quote Originally Posted by RosieKamozie View Post
    Thank you so much for these resources! I'm in the East Hollywood/Los Feliz area. My biggest challenge is I work nightshifts on the weekends so I miss a lot of the group meetups. I'm hopeful I can find some folks to strum with during the week sometime, or maybe I'll look for a teacher!
    My nephew lives right there too. You're close to Atwater Village, not sure when the Pluckin' Strummers meet though. I bet they have members who teach.

Thread Information