Hello from Los Angeles...been lurking for years, finally posting!

RosieKamozie

Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

I've been a lurker here for a few years. Picked up a Mainland mahogany concert in 2016 after my son was born. I had some bad post-partum depression and thought strumming happy songs and singing to my son might help. It was definitely very therapeutic!!

I've learned everything from UU and online tutorials. Chasing a toddler around means I haven't been able to practice as much as I'd like, but I am looking to learn more and to start actively participating in these forums.

Also looking for any practice groups or connections in the Los Angeles area, if anyone knows of any :)

Take care,
~Rose

Welcome to the UU, Rose. You were wise to take up the ukulele after your son was born. Making music, especially on a stringed instrument, is often highly therapeutic. And with the ukulele, it's also just plain fun. :) Best of luck with your musical journey!
Jan D

Welcome Rosie from another Angelean. Even if you play for just 15 minutes a day, that's good. In what part of the city are you? I play my uke with an acoustic group on Sundays in a park in Culver City from 12 to 2, all levels are welcome; guitars, mandolin, lap steel, ukuleles, about 8 to 12 people. Atwater Village has the Pluckin' Strummers, U-Space in Little Tokyo has regular sessions. The leader of my seniors uke group gives group lessons at Boulevard Music in Culver City and she also gives private one-on-one lessons.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Last edited:
Welcome Rosie from another Angelean. Even if you play for just 15 minutes a day, that's good. In what part of the city are you? I play my uke with an acoustic group on Sundays in a park in Culver City from 12 to 2, all levels are welcome; guitars, mandolin, lap steel, ukuleles, about 8 to 12 people. Atwater Village has the Pluckin' Strummers, U-Space in Little Tokyo has regular sessions. The leader of my seniors uke group gives group lessons at Boulevard Music in Culver City and she also gives private one-on-one lessons.

Thank you so much for these resources! I'm in the East Hollywood/Los Feliz area. My biggest challenge is I work nightshifts on the weekends so I miss a lot of the group meetups. I'm hopeful I can find some folks to strum with during the week sometime, or maybe I'll look for a teacher!

Thank you so much for these resources! I'm in the East Hollywood/Los Feliz area. My biggest challenge is I work nightshifts on the weekends so I miss a lot of the group meetups. I'm hopeful I can find some folks to strum with during the week sometime, or maybe I'll look for a teacher!
My nephew lives right there too. You're close to Atwater Village, not sure when the Pluckin' Strummers meet though. I bet they have members who teach.

Top Bottom