Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Saving the planet

Default Saving the planet

I live in California where we recycle EVERYTHING. Recently, there has been a Flame War on my neighborhood site regarding the environment, gasoline guzzling RVís, red meat eaters, Ďplastic micro-beadsí....

I just changed the 3 year-old nylon strings on my Kala Tenor to Worth Brown BTís. (And consider the advice to change strings every 6 months or more frequent)
    And while I wait for them to settle in, I ponder....

All the nylon, all the fluorocarbon waste we generate by indulging in our hobby/ lifestyle.

Perhaps Iím overthinking? I remember fishing with my father in the Delta and tossing the Ďrats nestí of fishing line overboard, into the water....

And now four 24Ē inches of nylon strings that I removed will be in a landfill - forever.
    Perhaps Iím overthinking?

Iím a pragmatic realist living in California!

The "Saving" part is saving the environment so humans can continue to live on earth. The earth doesn't care what we do, but polluting the environment is bad for people - and animals.

If there was more money in recycling, we would see more of it. I pay $5.00 to leave a bag of garbage at my "recycling center"/dump. I recycle as much as I can, which costs nothing.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Another Ukulele View Post
    I live in California where we recycle EVERYTHING. Recently, there has been a Flame War on my neighborhood site regarding the environment, gasoline guzzling RV’s, red meat eaters, ‘plastic micro-beads’....

I just changed the 3 year-old nylon strings on my Kala Tenor to Worth Brown BT’s. (And consider the advice to change strings every 6 months or more frequent)
    And while I wait for them to settle in, I ponder....

All the nylon, all the fluorocarbon waste we generate by indulging in our hobby/ lifestyle.

Perhaps I’m overthinking? I remember fishing with my father in the Delta and tossing the ‘rats nest’ of fishing line overboard, into the water....

And now four 24” inches of nylon strings that I removed will be in a landfill - forever.
    Perhaps I’m overthinking?

I’m a pragmatic realist living in California!
    Are you over thinking things? Well yes, I’d say so, but it’s easy to loose a sense of proportion. However, IMHO, your thinking is towards a direction that’s way better for the future of your Country and our World than our (collective) current course. I’m a firm believer in reduce (the resources that you use), reuse (don’t buy new if second hand will do and avoid single use items where possible) and recycle (avoid items being sent to land fill and allow an item’s materials to be reused).

I don’t think that any one individual can solve the environmental problems of the world but recognising that something is wrong and trying to do something for a better tomorrow makes sense to me. Historically we, in the Western World, have achieved massively positives things in the way that people live but along the way we have unknowingly created (and still do) lasting damage to our environment. It’s time for us to take the lead, modify what we do and put right the damage we have and are doing.
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 08-15-2019 at 03:19 AM.

You could burn them, & pollute the air.

I don't remember anyone replacing guitar strings when I was young, only when one broke.

Do we really need to change them often. I use fluorocarbon strings mainly on mine, but haven't changed them since I first installed them, a couple of years, at least.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

I only like to change strings when they break. I think the string industry works very hard to tell us we should change them much more often than is really necessary. I prefer worn in strings to new ones anyway but when I do change them, my wife recycles them into jewellery.
    Kamaka HF-2LD - Kanile'a Custom 5 string Super Tenor - KoAloha Special Issue Tenor - Pono MGTDP - Pono ATDC-CR

There really is a climate crisis as well as other ecological problems. But in perspective, the total volume of ukulele strings that I will use in my life would be less than a cubic foot. So not making much difference in the scheme of things.

The environmental impact isn't so much the waste but the impact of producing the nylon and fluorocarbon used in the strings. Even so, the environmental impact of driving a car to ukulele club and lessons is probably greater.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtoolie View Post
    But in perspective, the total volume of ukulele strings that I will use in my life would be less than a cubic foot. So not making much difference in the scheme of things.
    And this is exactly why we are all doomed because most of the world thinks like this
    Kamaka HF-2LD - Kanile'a Custom 5 string Super Tenor - KoAloha Special Issue Tenor - Pono MGTDP - Pono ATDC-CR

The sentiment is good. The overthink is there also if this is about ukulele strings disposal.

Who is sitting here consuming power on a phone, laptop, computer... reading this. Did you buy a cup of joe in a paper cup? Or an iced tea/coffee in a plastic cup? ... while snacking on chips in its own bag? How old is your car? Did you really need to replace the last one so soon? Now look at your weekly garbage... do you use the big or small garbage can? How full is the recycling bin?

The Bay Area is quite good on recycling and decreasing waste (do you pay for shopping bags or bring reusable ones?) But the steps are small ones and will require larger political decisions and willpower to begin to effect change for the better. Meanwhile, uke on to get your mind off of the bad stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow21 View Post
    ...will require larger political decisions...
    That's the problem right there.

Thread Information