Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Saving the planet

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    That's the problem right there.
    It is a problem that, without larger political decisions, we cannot make much of a dent in our environmental problems, but that is how large groups act. Thankfully, there are larger political decisions being made, such as California's recent ban on plastic straws which cause immense problems for sea life.

During my childhood, I remember that we had the same refrigerator and toaster the whole time (probably a few more things, too). These days, those things break down and have to be replaced with far greater frequency, and dead appliances occupy a far greater amount of space in landfills than a few uke strings do. I'm all for recycling, upcycling and buying used stuff when possible, but also wish they would build things to last once again. Planned obsolescence is a big pet peeve of mine!

bratsche
    A bunch of stringed instruments tuned in fifths. And a bunch of cats!

"There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!

If you're seriously concerned about your ukulele string footprint, have you considered using gut strings?
    Sopranos: aNueNue Khaya Mahogany 1, Bruko No. 6; Kiwaya KS-1; Kiwaya KTS-4; Kiwaya KTS-4K; Martin S-O
    Concerts:Cahaya CY-0112; Kiwaya KTC-1; Martin C-1 (ca. 1947-1955); Musicguymic's Kolohe
    Tenors: Cordoba 24T; Kiwaya KTT-2K
    Baritones: Cordoba 24B

Its a no win scenario.

Greta Thurnberg set off from the UK bound for the USA to address the UN on climate change.

This amazing young lady is travelling over the Atlantic in a yacht that is intended to be a zero carbon journey.

Our News here in the UK has been full of the event, but no mention has been made of the sheer volume of CO2 and other waste materials that has gone into producing this very high tech racing yacht.
    Col.
    From the UK with a bad case of MIAS.
    Korg PA700, Korg Kross 2, Gibson LP, Fender Jazz Bass,
    + Amps, PA, Boss GT100, mixer.
    Ukes - Kala KA-TEME and Risa ST electric solid body.
    Uke wish list, a Bass, make and model yet to be determined

Quote Originally Posted by bratsche View Post
    During my childhood, I remember that we had the same refrigerator and toaster the whole time (probably a few more things, too). These days, those things break down and have to be replaced with far greater frequency, and dead appliances occupy a far greater amount of space in landfills than a few uke strings do. I'm all for recycling, upcycling and buying used stuff when possible, but also wish they would build things to last once again. Planned obsolescence is a big pet peeve of mine!

bratsche
    Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Counter View Post
    I only like to change strings when they break..
    Whew! That’s basically what I’ve done.
    One tenor has 12 year old strings - changed due to breaks
    My Banjolele has 10 year old never changed.
    My 8 string is 6 years never changed
    My Concert changed to Aquila to improve tone
    My main Tenor was 4 years old and sounding good, but I changed to Worth Brown BT because I heard them and liked the Warmth.

So I’m neither cheap, nor frugal — merely ‘insightful ‘ ?

The problem is refrigerator manufacturing creates jobs (albeit currently in China until Chinese workers also want new refrigerators and become too expensive as a workforce and manufacturing moves to Ethiopia or wherever is the next supplier of dirt cheap labour), so until we all find a way of living happily as a low consumer society we are stuck in an ever decreasing circle.
    Kamaka HF-2LD - Kanile'a Custom 5 string Super Tenor - KoAloha Special Issue Tenor - Pono MGTDP - Pono ATDC-CR

Quote Originally Posted by Another Ukulele View Post
    Whew! That’s basically what I’ve done.
    One tenor has 12 year old strings - changed due to breaks
    My Banjolele has 10 year old never changed.
    My 8 string is 6 years never changed
    My Concert changed to Aquila to improve tone
    My main Tenor was 4 years old and sounding good, but I changed to Worth Brown BT because I heard them and liked the Warmth.

So I’m neither cheap, nor frugal — merely ‘insightful ‘ ?

I put my preferred set of strings on new purchases and then leave them to settle in over many years
    Kamaka HF-2LD - Kanile'a Custom 5 string Super Tenor - KoAloha Special Issue Tenor - Pono MGTDP - Pono ATDC-CR

Quote Originally Posted by AQUATOPAZ View Post
    It is a problem that, without larger political decisions, we cannot make much of a dent in our environmental problems, but that is how large groups act. Thankfully, there are larger political decisions being made, such as California's recent ban on plastic straws which cause immense problems for sea life.
    My county in NY does not let stores give bags with purchases. People bring their own bags, or they buy them from the store - paper, not plastic.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Everything we do has an impact on the environment, it is hard to figure out if we are doing the right things. How many of use sit in front of the computer screen surfing the web, that takes electricity. Play our ukes for friends around an air polluting camp fire. Use clip on tuners that requirement batteries which get tossed. But we can’t go through life sitting in the middle of a field doing nothing. All actions have consequences.

I like the idea of buying used ukuleles. Order a custom uke from luthiers that use reclaimed wood. Clean your strings more often to get longer life. Car pool to your uke jam. Play in the dark at home.......we’ll maybe not, wife will think I am weird....or is that weirder
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Thread Information