Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Saving the planet

Ukulele strings are not a problem at all. Think how much stuff you use everyday, or the car fuel?

Myself I use everyday about 200g of viili, or sour milk product:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viili
    For the calcium need.

I think it's plastic container weighs as much as our strings. Well not a case that came with the strings lol. I buy also chicken slices packed in some plastic. Usually I eat just like 125g/day.
    In most stores I can't even buy vegetables without a plastic bag.

In my country eating animals is more sustainable than other ones too lol. But Nordic countries typically have a higher carbon footprint because of heating alone. So we are guilty

My wife is much more of an environmentalist than I am and I was discussing this with her at lunch in regards to used strings polluting the earth and her suggestion was that if environmentally concerned people would limit the number of ukulele that they own they would reduce the number of strings that are consumed and thereby discarded. I told her I would float that by here and see how long it took to sink.
    Last edited by Rllink; 08-16-2019 at 08:17 AM.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    My wife is much more of an environmentalist than I am and I was discussing this with her at lunch in regards to used strings polluting the earth and her suggestion was that if environmentally concerned people would limit the number of ukulele that they own they would reduce the number of strings that are consumed and thereby discarded. I told her I would float that by here and see how long it took to sink.
    I follow your wife’s logic but as strings are typically replaced due to wear rather than time she might not be completely correct on this occasion - I’ll let you explain that to her.

In terms of use of material used limiting the number of Ukes you have has some logic too, but Ukes are available in different sizes so number isn’t a completely accurate guide. Reduce, reuse and recycle are three useful goals (IMHO). As I have several Ukes my way forward has been to both reuse those bought by others (buy second hand) and to restore some damaged ones to playing order such that they can be used again (I regard restoration as a form of recycling). I’ve sold a few Ukes too and enabled people to buy a really nice playing and set up Uke instead of buying a new one. Typically Ukes are 95% plus made of wood and metal and both of those are recyclable, there is some plastic in the tuners and strings and maybe the nut and saddle. The amount of plastic on a Uke is small compared to the amount used to package / contain one’s monthly groceries, so whilst every little still counts a sense of perspective is good.

I read in one of your earlier posts (#29 in this thread) about you picking up rubbish and clearing parts of a local creek. That act seems good to me and surely that must mean that you deserve another (wooden) Uke as a reward from the environment. Being a better person than the man (or woman) up the creek / stream / river is, I think, a step or two in the right direction.
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 08-16-2019 at 10:57 PM.

I hate to say it, but I'm going to be doing a lot less recycling. I went to the recycling station/dump yesterday with cans and plastic. The guy came over to see what I was dumping. Most of what I had was considered garbage. It's not enough to wash empty food cans. They have to be scrubbed clean. No plastic that has touched food can be recycled. Our town has huge dumpsters for different items, and the company hauls them away when they're full. This recycling company is very particular about what they accept. I ordered a trash compactor yesterday to fit more into each garbage bag. It costs $5.00 to leave a bag of garbage at the dump.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Greenbag View Post
    I follow your wife’s logic but as strings are typically replaced due to wear rather than time she might not be completely correct on this occasion - I’ll let you explain that to her.

In terms of use of material used limiting the number of Ukes you have has some logic too, but Ukes are available in different sizes so number isn’t a completely accurate guide. Reduce, reuse and recycle are three useful goals (IMHO). As I have several Ukes my way forward has been to both reuse those bought by others (buy second hand) and to restore some damaged ones to playing order such that they can be used again (I regard restoration as a form of recycling). I’ve sold a few Ukes too and enabled people to buy a really nice playing and set up Uke instead of buying a new one. Typically Ukes are 95% plus made of wood and metal and both of those are recyclable, there is some plastic in the tuners and strings and maybe the nut and saddle. The amount of plastic on a Uke is small compared to the amount used to package / contain one’s monthly groceries, so whilst every little still counts a sense of perspective is good.
    not
    I read in one of your earlier posts (#29 in this thread) about you picking up rubbish and clearing parts of a local creek. That act seems good to me and surely that must mean that you deserve another (wooden) Uke as a reward from the environment. Being a better person than the man (or woman) up the creek / stream / river is, I think, a step or two in the right direction.
    Excellent rationalization Graham. You have certainly won me over with your argument, but I will not be explaining it. I'll not push "my" luck for "your" argument. I just thought it would be fun to post a non believer's comment on the subject. I try not to talk ukuleles in general with her to the point that I aggravate her, but as she is saving the world one plastic bag at a time, the subject was just too good to resist.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Salesman9 View Post
    I hate to say it, but I'm going to be doing a lot less recycling. I went to the recycling station/dump yesterday with cans and plastic. The guy came over to see what I was dumping. Most of what I had was considered garbage. It's not enough to wash empty food cans. They have to be scrubbed clean. No plastic that has touched food can be recycled. Our town has huge dumpsters for different items, and the company hauls them away when they're full. This recycling company is very particular about what they accept. I ordered a trash compactor yesterday to fit more into each garbage bag. It costs $5.00 to leave a bag of garbage at the dump.
    It seems that sometimes they make it as difficult as they possibly can to be environmentally conscious.

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    It seems that sometimes they make it as difficult as they possibly can to be environmentally conscious.
    $$ first, people second.

We have a Prius hybrid (used) car. I have no idea how much pollution was caused by it being built.
    We have new anti hurricane windows. I have no idea how much pollution was caused in their manufacture.
    We just had solar panels installed on our roof. I have no idea how much pollution was caused when they were made.

Although these things concern me, I'm less concerned about my ukulele strings.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of recycled trash that is not being recycled, but just dumped into landfills. For decades China was taking a very high percentage of the worldís recyclable trash. They have cut back on how much they take and the quality (contamination) of what they do accept. There are some alternative countries that are taking more, but here in the US we generate so much plastic waste that is not adequately cleaned and separated that the industry is overwhelmed.

While I admire trying to be environmentally conscious, this thread flies in the face of the many string threads on UU. Deep down I wonder how many people would sacrifice tone and playability for more environmentally safe strings. At the end of the day Iím guessing few would actually go that route. I also think that few would forego taking a ukulele on a trip in extreme conditions due to not wanting to buy a KLOS, Outdoor or Fluke ukulele for the sake of the environment. Iím not sure I could go a week or more without a ukulele.

John
    Last edited by 70sSanO; 08-18-2019 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie View Post
    We have a Prius hybrid (used) car. I have no idea how much pollution was caused by it being built.
    We have new anti hurricane windows. I have no idea how much pollution was caused in their manufacture.
    We just had solar panels installed on our roof. I have no idea how much pollution was caused when they were made.

Although these things concern me, I'm less concerned about my ukulele strings.
    To my mind what you’re doing is the way to go in that you’re doing what you feel you can to live a more sustainable life. What each of us can do is different according to our knowledge and circumstances but being mindful of what we do is good. Perspective is good, and Uke strings are ‘small beer’.

Some folk have commented on recyclable material still being dumped or stockpiled rather than recycled. It’s not a good situation but it has the makings of one. Material held as recyclable will, with the correct technology and correct will, be recycled at some point. Having a society that is used to segregating its waste into recyclable streams will aid recycling at some point and in some places material is being properly recycled.

My inclination is to believe that the consumer has too much environmental responsibility placed on them, too little information to make choices with and too few options from amongst which to select with sustainability in mind. Manufacturers and suppliers need to (only) produce and sell items for which there is a known pathway for responsible disposal at the end of their lifecycle. Typically such pathways really aren’t that difficult for manufacturers to identify and so the originator of a product should design and manufacture it with recycling and recycling facilities in mind ...... and ensure that product owners can readily find out about about correct end of life disposal.
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 08-19-2019 at 05:38 AM.

Thread Information