Saving the planet

I don't know how significant something like not buying ukulele strings is in light of everything else we do.

I have to agree. It's much easier to reduce/avoid in other areas where the volume of plastic is greater.

But we can, as buyers, vote with our money and write letters to insist on paper packaging for little things like strings. Then you can, at least, compost the envelopes in your back yard. There is no practical reason for carbon strings to be sealed that I've ever heard. I believe Joel at UkeLogic has shifted to full-paper packaging for this reason. These small moves may not make as much of a global impact, but they increase awareness by permeating all aspects of life.

Recently I've been stuffing plastic bottles with clean trash to create "bottle bricks." https://www.greenmatters.com/p/how-to-bottle-brick Some folks build structures with them, but to me it's less about that and more about greatly reducing volume in the landfill. You could stuff a lifetime of uke strings into a big vinegar bottle. This is a great visual demonstration of the trash you use since you have to spend time pushing each piece into the bottle. Really humbling. Strings are not even a top 100 item.

We switched from tree paper TP to bamboo TP. It's higher quality, and doesn't cost much more. We use less, too. And it doesn't have to come off Amazon!
Every little bit helps.

Have I got the next TMI thing for you: https://www.brondell.com/bidets/bidet-toilet-seats/! My folks got one in an effort to reduce water and TP usage (it takes far more water to make the TP than to spray your bum).

There is absolutely no going back to TP-only. Really. It's green AND a complete luxury. The fact that bidets haven't caught on in the US really tells you all you need to know about the way things are going! :smileybounce: You can thank me later. :cool:

Of course, they're made of plastic... So damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Last edited:
It is a pity that stuff is thrown in the nature and that landfills are still a thing.
In Denmark I believe combustable waste like plastic is in general burned on power plants, and landfills are for like construction materials. That is, until the new recycling policies make us put the plastic in a separate bin, so It is transported to eastern Europe in diesel consuming trucks, then stored so that someone hypothetically can make new plastic from it some day. I hope we still have garbage enough for the power plants.

Anyway, as long as plastic waste is disposed of in a proper way and not thrown into the sea or nature, I dont think it is that big a problem. And ukulele stribgs are a relatively small quantity of plastic that brings a lot of Joy. I am sure that consuming ukulele strings is better that consuming electronics etc.

Amen to that!

Have I got the next TMI thing for you: https://www.brondell.com/bidets/bidet-toilet-seats/! My folks got one in an effort to reduce water and TP usage (it takes far more water to make the TP than to spray your bum).

There is absolutely no going back to TP-only. Really. It's green AND a complete luxury. The fact that bidets haven't caught on in the US really tells you all you need to know about the way things are going! :smileybounce: You can thank me later. :cool:

Of course, they're made of plastic... So damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Brad, we switched over to bamboo TP a few months ago. It still uses water, of course, but it eliminates cutting down forests to poop.

I wonder what's up with spams on this forum and bringing up old threads.

Anyway, I think we generate too much garbage these days. Thinking back, in 2002, I switched from a medium trash can to a large one. Now, I think I need an even bigger one. What happened? I'm thinking hard... I'd like to return to 2002 trach level.

Almost all the old "necro" threads are revived by new members with their first few posts. I suspect they are reading through pages of posts and come across one that they could respond to comfortably.

Anyway, I think we generate too much garbage these days. Thinking back, in 2002, I switched from a medium trash can to a large one. Now, I think I need an even bigger one. What happened? I'm thinking hard... I'd like to return to 2002 trach level.

That sounds almost like buying a bigger house to keep more stuff in...

Top Bottom