Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Do You Have Pickups in Your Ukes?

All the Ukes I had commissioned had pickups installed. Most are MiSi Trio’s with one MiSi Air and one Anuenue Air (the Air’s have an under saddle piezo strip and a mic so that you can balance the two. The Anuenue requires a battery, the MiSi’s use a rechargeable capacitor good for 8-16 hours of playing. When I play in Perth I play amped every week. I Melbourne not so much so far. I really enjoy using the efx pedalboards I’ve put together.
    "All worthwhile things in life should be easy to learn but hard to master"

Hoffmann Lutherie - Baritone - Master Grade Ebony and AAA Red Spruce
    Beau Hannam Custom Tenor - Vintage Hand Rubbed Sun Burst all Tassie Blackwood
    Barron River Tenor - Satin Box Maple and Alaskan Yellow Cedar
    Hoffmann Lutherie - Concert - Angry Owl Ebony and Cedar

When I first started watching YouTubes of ukulele players, it seemed like everyone was playing plugged in, and using effects.
    I was kind of under the impression that it was a necessity to really be able to play music with a ukulele.

But, I don't know anything about those type of things, and decided to see if I would stick with trying to learn ukulele first before spending additional $ on all the electronics. Of course, I learned that I don't need all the electronics, (I don't play out and about), so in the end, I've never had a ukulele with a pickup or used any electronics, and so far, don't intend to do so.

The acoustic ukulele sure has taken a hold on me, though. :-)

I bought my Makala with a passive amp from eBay for cheap ($68) specifically to see if I wanted to play an amplified uke. After borrowing a friend's amp to mess around, my wonderful better half bought a Roland Cube as a Christmas present.

The Makala wound up being a great buy. It's perfect to take to group performances where we don't have a PA. I use it as our monitor, if you will, so the entire group can stay on time.

Besides that, it's a very good knock around player. It's my go-to when we're playing anywhere I'd not chance taking my Martin.

I replaced the lousy stock tuners with Grovers and it works great.

Also, the Roland is a fantastic little amp if you want something portable and don't need to overpower a room. I recommend it as an entry-level amp since it offers decent effects, is inexpensive, and doesn't force you to buy an active pickup for your instruments. They can be heavy and clumsy, from my understanding.

If I decided to amplify other ukes, I'd get an iRig stage setup. It gets high marks from Baz and others.
    Martin C1K • Vintage 'Mauna Loa' c. 1925 soprano • Famous by Kiwaya FS-1 <yippee!!> • Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top) • Ohana SK-28 ‘Nunes’ <suh-weet> • Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany soprano <yay!!> • Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> • Flea koa soprano • Makala MK-CE concert • Kahuna "Felix the Cat" soprano • Woodrow "Steelers" soprano <eyeroll>

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

I have none with pickups.

For playing by my self or by a camp fire, or for recording at home, I dont need that.

There is the down side, that if I ever have to play on a stage I need to buy a new ukulele with one.

But there is that good side effect, that then I would need to buy a new ukulele.

(I know, I could just install a pickup in an ukulele I allready have, but my wife doesnt know that)
    Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Anuenue African Mahogany Tenor, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

My tenors have misi pick ups with the exception of the kamaka, LFDM and my beater. My concert has a passive pick up but I don't use that out of the house. I like having the option of a good pick up, and it helps at open mics where I play with an accompanying singer, but isn't a necessity (as long as they are equipped with mics).
    Last edited by pix.fairydust; 08-18-2019 at 06:52 AM.
    ~ "Music washes away the dust of everyday life" ~

•••••••••• ••••••••••••••••••••

Soprano - 2002 Koa KoAloha
    Concert - Ziegenspeck mahogany Sunburst sunrise • Kanile'a KSC-C
    Tenor - Anuenue UT200 • Sumi Kobo sinker cedar + ziricote • Kamaka 100th anniversary • Kanile'a KSR-T • LFDM ukaferri
    Baritone - Kala SMHB

"Beater" no brand solid spruce + rosewood tenor

Andrew at The Ukulele Site recommended an L.R. Baggs 5.0 pickup for a uke I was buying a few years ago, and I liked the sound of it. Since then, every uke I've ordered from them has included a Baggs pickup installed. The L.R. Baggs 5.0 sounds very natural and the batteries last a long time, as little as I use them.
    If music be the food of love, play on! -Bill Shakespeare

The 7th member of the ukulele 'ohana arrives tomorrow; it's a Ko'olau CE-2! I'm so excited to test it out. I'm definitely going to have to practice more.

I have two ukuleles with pickups, a Cσrdoba Tenor with an LR Baggs, a Kala Cedar topped Baritone with a K & K Aloha Twin spot. The L R Baggs is active the K & K is passive. Both sound great to my ears, although the K & K needs a pre-amp to bring out it’s full potential.

OK, I decided to share my experimental journey. I built a Bass'nBari flipper. (Pictured) Bass on one side and Baritone on the other.
    I thought that the bass with nylon wound strings would drive it enough to match the baritone with Worths, Not loud enough to use with vocals on a mic. I tried acoustic mics inside (lapel clip on) too much feedback. Piezo stickies on both sides with mercury switches to swap inputs, no pop when flipping but too harsh for my taste. A Misi was tried under each bridge but produced dominance on the side installed. I currently have it mounted on a cross brace below but not touching the sound board in the middle. Picks up both sides equally, but needs volume as my Ibanez Troubadour is cranked way up. I'm currently rebuilding the pick up mounting to get more out of it.new Bari Angle.JPGnew Bass Angle.JPG

I have a Vorson so yes and my first uke was an acoustic/electric. Also used a piezo pick up, very cheap and works well enough. I have a ukulele amp but it barely amplifies so some effects are necessary to boost the sound. Otherwise a micro amp.

Thread Information