Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Have Pickups in Your Ukes?

Default Do You Have Pickups in Your Ukes?

I have never ordered a uke with a pickup, but 8% of what I have now came with pickups when I bought them used. If I was performing publicly, I could see a need for one, but no one wants to see me playing and singing in public.

How about you? Many pickups?
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

I own 4 ukes currently, and 2 have with MiSi pick-ups. I skipped adding a pick-up in my Blackbird Clara when I got it from HMS. As my outdoor/festival/camping/travel ukulele, I didn't think I'd need one in it, but now wish I had gotten them to install one. I do play plugged in at church every Sunday, and occasionally at uke groups, festivals, etc.

Which has me thinking.....I'm helping out the music therapists & music volunteers at the children's hospital where I'm a nurse tomorrow. I'm providing music support for a sing-along that will be broadcast via closed circuit TV to the patient's rooms. I initially thought it was something the kids would come to the music room to participate in, so I'd bring my loud & clear Clara. Now that I know that we'll be broadcasting, maybe my Moonbird or KoAloha that can be plugged in would be a better choice? Hmmmm.
    Last edited by RafterGirl; 08-15-2019 at 07:46 AM.
    My ukulele family.....
    KoAloha Koa concert - circa 2006
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood - 2018
    Blackbird Clara - 2019
    Kanilea KCS-SSP super soprano - circa 2016

Quote Originally Posted by RafterGirl View Post
    ...but now wish I had gotten them to install one.
    It's not very difficult to install a pickup, and they're under $100. I think the pickup I linked below is what I have in all of mine.

https://smile.amazon.com/Aloha-Twin-...gateway&sr=8-7
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Initially I thought I needed pick ups, but found out I prefer to use a mic, so I have three electro acoustic concerts, two laminate, & one a solid spruce with a MiSi pick up.

I do also have four solid body non steel string electric ukes, (& a steel string), that I seldom play, preferring my acoustics.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    I have never ordered a uke with a pickup, but 8% of what I have now came with pickups when I bought them used. If I was performing publicly, I could see a need for one, but no one wants to see me playing and singing in public.

Ordered my custom resonator, which I'm still waiting for, with a pickup because I'd like to use pedals.

My Mya Moe has a passive, my Kanile'a Custom has an active pickup. I have a Yamaha acoustic practice amp which I use now and then but not as much as I thought I would when I got it. We have 'sensitive' neighbours upstairs who object to my ukulele strumming and or my wife's guitar playing so I tend to listen to my amp though my headphones which is still interesting sonically but defeats the purpose a bit. I probably won't add a pickup to any new ukes.
    Kamaka HF-2LD - Kanile'a Custom 5 string Super Tenor - KoAloha Special Issue Tenor - Pono MGTDP - Pono ATDC-CR

Quote Originally Posted by Croaky Keith View Post
    Initially I thought I needed pick ups, but found out I prefer to use a mic, so I have three electro acoustic concerts, two laminate, & one a solid spruce with a MiSi pick up.

I do also have four solid body non steel string electric ukes, (& a steel string), that I seldom play, preferring my acoustics.
    Me too. I had the MiSi installed on my Mainland because I had this image of myself rocking out. I bought a bunch of pedals, amps, and other electronics to play around with. For some reason that I haven't pondered a lot, I find myself more often than not just dedicating another mic to the uke. So I still have the Mainland of I want to go hard rock, but I seldom do.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

My first uke (the Kala tenor) came with a pickup. I don't need a pickup for my playing, so I didn't order one in my other two ukes. I don't particularly like the sound of the pickup in the tenor. I have to fiddle with the tone controls on the pickup and on my amplifier in order to get a sound that isn't too harsh and trebly and doesn't pick up all the finger noise.
    Kala KA-TE tenor uke (currently tuned re-entrant gCEA)
    Kala APB-CTG baritone uke (currently tuned DGBE)
    Ohana BK-35CG baritone uke (currently tuned low-octave ADF#B)
    Various guitars, banjos, and basses

I have zero ukes with pickups. I also haven't played out in a while. But notably, at the period of time when I played out a lot, I had ukes with pickups. I had thought that playing with a louder uke would make me more confident but it didn't really do much. Not that I have, or had, much of a confidence issue, I just thought that having more amplification would give me an extra boost, but it didn't.
    Last edited by 13down; 08-15-2019 at 05:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post

Yes they do want to see you playing and singing in public. I think that when it comes to playing and wanting to sound normal, without any effects, playing through the mic is much more forgiving. The pickup amplifies every little mistake or twitch. If you do want to play in public don't let the lack of a pickup stop you. I think that to start with you will find just running a second mic to the ukulele will give you a better sound if you aren't wanting to do something weird.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Thread Information