Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Have Pickups in Your Ukes?

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    I think that when it comes to playing and wanting to sound normal, without any effects, playing through the mic is much more forgiving. The pickup amplifies every little mistake or twitch.
    I think that might be true. I think that it can also amplify string noise, which can throw you off.

I've never had pickups in my ukes but I have had, on occasion, ukes in my pickup.

(Sorry, I really tried hard but couldn't resist posting that.)
    Kamaka HF3, Tenor
    Eastman EU3C, Concert
    Martin S1, Soprano
    Martin T1K, Tenor

Of course a great mic played through a high quality desk always sounds best, well the most natural. I used bring a Neumann KM-184 because the house mics were terrible (usually too bright dynamic vocal mics) but I realized the typical house sound system pretty much defeated mic quality. And negotiating with the "tech" to get the EQ right was a difficult if not impossible task. For me it's much easier to get a decent tone with a pickup jacked into my own acoustic amp. If more volume is needed, I send an XLR output from my amp with desired EQ and effects and have the desk set flat.

Quote Originally Posted by kkimura View Post
    I've never had pickups in my ukes but I have had, on occasion, ukes in my pickup.

Ha-ha, this is very funny!
    Happy just to be a Newbie +, Penny

Quote Originally Posted by kkimura View Post

If you have a uke, does that help to pickup someone?
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    If you have a uke, does that help to pickup someone?
    No, really no. Need a guitar for that. See Steve Martin's routine on the banjo.

----------

I have performed once and used a clip on passive pick up which worked really well. Best $12 i ever spent. I then installed an onboard pickup myself and have never performed with it.

I did intend to get a loop pedal and add some looping percussion to back myself when performing but have never got round to it. That would be fun at home too.

One thing, I played a venue a couple of times that was a local bar well known for live music and pretty good entertainment. Once a month they had an amateur night. Three local musicians would be chosen to come in and each do a set. Then at the end of the night the bar would divide up 10% of the proceeds from the night between the three musicians. Nothing more exciting than playing a bar full of drunks. They had a great sound system and they provided a sound man in the booth for you. You came out of the green room already tuned up and ready. The sound man plugged you in, did a quick sound check, and you were on stage, lights in your eyes and you were expected to belt them out. Absolutely no messing around. It paid dividends to have a good pickup. Several times he told me he liked the MiSi and the Baggs. My point is, you showed up ready to plug in. They weren't going to string up some extra mics for you because you thought you might sound better. It was get going or get off the stage.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

I have a Kala Tenor with a built-in pick-up and I have a ‘suction cup’ removable pick-up.
    I use both at Christmas when I accompany Carolers street walking — ukuleles rapidly lose their volume out side.
    I use my tenor built-in at my ‘weekly ‘ Blues Jam (by request) so that I can be heard among/over the guitars and harps.
    Then again, I tend to be a ‘soft’ picker, ‘fat of my thumb’ soft strummer.
    (Hot diggety — 2 more posts and I’m no longer a junior!!)

In the first year of playing uke I accumulated 16 tenors, cutaway and if they didn't have a preamp/tuner and pickup, I installed it. I've culled that down to 9 in the last 5 years and 4 don't have pickups, but I have them sitting in a drawer if I choose to install them.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
    9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

My Fluke Tenor came with a B-Band pickup installed, my Les Paul has whatever piezo pickup Epiphone put in those ukes, my Donaldson Concert has a K&K Twinspot transducer (passive), the Ohana Low-G has a MiSi active, and the eucalyptus Ohana has an L.R. Baggs active pickup.

I can play mic'ed or plugged in. If I'm doing my own setup, I use both mic, and plugged-in. I like being able to balance the sound between the pickup and the mic on my mixer.

-Kurt
    Donaldson Kumalae-style soprano * Magic Fluke Timber Bass * Ohana CK450QEL * Ohana CK-65D * Ken Timms Soprano
    Moku MS-90S * Waterman * National Triolian Reso * Bugsgear Aqualele * Donaldson Concert
    Rosewood Vita Uke * Waverly Street #38 * Ko'Aloha Sceptre Tenor * Ohana Vita Uke
    Fluke FireFly * Epiphone Les Paul Ukulele * Republic Concert * Fluke Tenor M22
    Kala KA-KTG-CT * Cordoba 20TM * 1950s Harmony soprano *1920s Stella banjo uke

Am I done?

...naw...

My YouTube Channel

Thread Information