Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What songs do you think are the "STANDARDS" for uke?

Default What songs do you think are the "STANDARDS" for uke?

I've checked out multiple lists online that people claim have the "standard" traditional songs that every ukulele player should know. But all of the lists are completely different (well, they all had Iz's version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow).

Please share your opinion! What songs do you feel every uke player should know?
    ================================
    Kimse Concert
    Adams Soprano
    Donner Concert
    Waterman Soprano
    OriGlam (make your own uke kit) Soprano

Enter Sandman
    Concert: Lanikai LU-21C (Southcoast MU)
    Soprano: Kala KA-PWS (Southcoast Machete)
    Baritone "Rennaissance Guitar": Kala KA-SBG (C-Linear with Worth BL-LGs currently.)
    Tenor: Kala ATP-CTG (Southcoast LMU-NW
    Tenor "Low G': Kala KA-FMTG (Southcoast LML-NW
    Tenor: Kala SRT-CTG-E (Southcoast LMU-NW
    Baritone "Nui": Pono NS-10 (Worth B-B)

12th street rag

You'll get as many different ones here as you got elsewhere.

Standard to whom, which generation, which Continent, which Country....
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

I hear lots of uku players grooving on "Purple Haze", Malagueńa and Tiko Tiko. I guess those pieces are sort of the "Stairway to Heaven" for the uku crowd.

We should all play whichever songs we enjoy playing! I don't play Iz's version of Over the Rainbow (or any other version), nor any George Formby songs, nor any tunes with a title ending with "rag". I do play a lot of songs from the Great American Songbook and Tin Pan Alley which to me epitomise the golden age of the ukulele. Ukulele Lady is a good example, as it's of that era *and* it features a ukulele! You might prefer Hawaiian music, in which case your list will be completely different to mine.

There are probably a lot of people out there who feel differently but I don't roll that way. To say that I ought to know song "X-Y-Z" because I play the ukulele is like putting the cart before the horse. I play what I want to play on the uke because I like the song, not because I feel compelled to play or learn a song just because it's associated with the uke. Those circles may sometimes cross but it's not very frequently. I have no desire at all to play/learn Somewhere Over The Rainbow, 5 Foot 2, All Of Me, You Are My Sunshine and the like, some of which is pure dreck.
    Ohana CK-42R - all-solid concert, sinker redwood top, rosewood body, maple binding, Ltd. Edition
    Kala KA-FMCG- solid/lam concert, spruce top, spalted flame maple body, mahogany binding
    Ohana CK-120G - all-solid concert, 5A acacia top sides and back, mahogany binding, Limited Edition
    Ohana SK-30M - all-solid mahogany long neck soprano (concert scale)
    Romero ST - solid/lam concert, spruce top, mahogany body

Quote Originally Posted by mikelz777 View Post
    There are probably a lot of people out there who feel differently but I don't roll that way. To say that I ought to know song "X-Y-Z" because I play the ukulele is like putting the cart before the horse. I play what I want to play on the uke because I like the song, not because I feel compelled to play or learn a song just because it's associated with the uke. Those circles may sometimes cross but it's not very frequently. I have no desire at all to play/learn Somewhere Over The Rainbow, 5 Foot 2, All Of Me, You Are My Sunshine and the like, some of which is pure dreck.
    Myself too, I don't even think I ever have tried learn Iz songs, they were wonderful.
    Uke works for all kinds of music .... not so well with blues or hard rock of course lol.

"Ukulele Lady", even if you're not.
    Kamaka (S) Gold Label, Bonanza (C) Cherry Oreo, Pono (T) mahogany, KoAloha (T), Kala (B) Cedar top/Mahog laminate.

Amen to Ukulele Lady, we perform it a lot.
    IMHO Tiptoe Through the Tulips is a lovely song (No falsetto allowed), and I think SOTR/Wonderful World are obligatory for ukers.
    That's just me, though.
    If you prefer more modern sangs, Count On Me is really nice. We think Three Little Birds and Don't Worry Be Happy are very cool, too. We've learned No Problems Today by Glenn Rothel, and we're learning Peace, Precious Peace, too.
    These are all feel good songs!
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Thread Information