Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What songs do you think are the "STANDARDS" for uke?

Quote Originally Posted by UkerDan View Post
    I've checked out multiple lists online that people claim have the "standard" traditional songs that every ukulele player should know. But all of the lists are completely different (well, they all had Iz's version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow).

Please share your opinion! What songs do you feel every uke player should know?
    I believe that everyone who picks up a ukulele does so with a certain song in mind that they want to play. That song is their first "standard" song. Later on (sometimes before the first song is learned) another song will come to mind. That's the second "standard" song in that persons list of traditional standard songs. Before you know it someone else will ask for a list of "standard" traditional songs and the rest is history.
    Kamaka HF3, Tenor
    Eastman EU3C, Concert
    Martin S1, Soprano
    Martin T1K, Tenor

I am a new player too and find Patrions finger picking tabs good , he posts on here .

Our Group (and myself in particular!) always get a great feeling playing:
    Ain't She Sweet
    Five Foot Two
    Doctor jazz
    Loving You Has Made Me Bananas
    as 'standards'.
    Then for more modern stuff we really get into:
    Up Around The Bend
    The Night before
    You Shook Me All Night Long
    The Weight
    But as has been pointed out, you will enjoy playing songs that matter to YOU.
    Just enjoy what you are doing, and it's all good!
    All power and respect to you Concert,Tenor and Baritone players, but Soprano is what does it for me every time! (And my beautiful Sopranino!)

"Stairway" is mandatory for ALL stringed instruments.

I've been toying with a songbook that will be titled "The Ukulele Player's Burden."

Tiptoe
    5'2
    SOTR/Wonderful World
    Ukulele Lady
    Aloha Oe
    I'm Yours
    Happy Birthday to You
    ... and more songs, maybe Riptide and Ain't She Sweet? and Tonight You Belong to Me and (shudder) Lava.

I'm sure this list will be different in different places, with different age groups and subcultures (can I just say here that Marrakesh Express at uke club last night totally rocked?)

There's no law saying you have to play the songs people ask for. It's not like any of us are motivated by applause, right? Right? But so help me, every time I play SOTR and there's a living human in earshot, they applaud. Every. Single. Time. Even when it's a group of us rehearsing and we suck. We could play a dozen songs before and after and those get ignored. Unless it's I'm Yours when people whip out their phones to take video.

As the Kinks said, give the people what they want. Or not; your choice. If you can ignore the clamoring demands of the public, then you are stronger than I am.

Quote Originally Posted by mikelz777 View Post
    There are probably a lot of people out there who feel differently but I don't roll that way. To say that I ought to know song "X-Y-Z" because I play the ukulele is like putting the cart before the horse. I play what I want to play on the uke because I like the song, not because I feel compelled to play or learn a song just because it's associated with the uke. Those circles may sometimes cross but it's not very frequently. I have no desire at all to play/learn Somewhere Over The Rainbow, 5 Foot 2, All Of Me, You Are My Sunshine and the like, some of which is pure dreck.
    I'll try to play some of those just because if you play in a group that's what they play. I hate them but for me it's strumming practice. At home I play what I like which is mostly instrumentals, bluegrass and C&W. I do a lot of fingerpicking which is WAY more enjoyable to me.
    So, whatever floats your boat...

I think a more productive approach might be "songs that capture the essence of the 'ukulele and you should be familiar with." So far Aloha 'Oe is the only song I see here that I'm slightly inclined to play. But I'm familiar with most of them and they inform my overall picture of the 'ukulele.

The best bit of 'ukulele work ever played, IMO, is by Peter Moon on "Kawika" by the Sunday Manoa. That's the heart of Hawaiian 'ukulele to me.

Standards you say?? That could be quite a list. I am over 80 years old and still love some of the songs my father called favorites or standards from about 1910 on. Since I was raised on the Big Band Sound I have many I call standards. Considering I am from New Orleans I probably have a few more dozen standards. I agree with others on here. What you like and play are your standards and your list will probably never really match any one else's. Play whatever numbers you love, your standards. and let it rip.

Five Foot Two/Please Don't Talk About Me
    Sweet Sue
    Ukulele Lady
    Let's Talk Dirty In Hawaiian
    My Ukulele Helps Me Beat The Blues
    My Blue Heaven
    Walkin' My Baby Back Home
    Lindberg Hop
    I'm Satisfied With My Gal
    If I Had You
    Singing In The Bathtub
    Living In The Country
    Ain't Misbehaving
    See You In My Dreams
    Boodle Am Shake
    Don't Get Around Much Any More
    Get Out Those Old Records
    My Buddy
    Cecilia
    Won't You Play A Simple Melody
    I Ain't Got Nobody
    Coney Island Washboard

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Yates View Post
    Five Foot Two/Please Don't Talk About Me
    Sweet Sue
    Ukulele Lady
    Let's Talk Dirty In Hawaiian
    My Ukulele Helps Me Beat The Blues
    My Blue Heaven
    Walkin' My Baby Back Home
    Lindberg Hop
    I'm Satisfied With My Gal
    If I Had You
    Singing In The Bathtub
    Living In The Country
    Ain't Misbehaving
    See You In My Dreams
    Boodle Am Shake
    Don't Get Around Much Any More
    Get Out Those Old Records
    My Buddy
    Cecilia
    Won't You Play A Simple Melody
    I Ain't Got Nobody
    Coney Island Washboard
    Nice selection Jim, I would add I'll See You In My Dreams.
    DEPENDENTS:

In order of age:

Martin C-1K Concert, C Re-entrant Tuning 4/2014
    Pono MTD-CR Tenor C Linear Tuning 6/21/2016
    Ko'olau Model 100 Tenor C Linear Tuning 7/27/2018
    Kamaka HF-2 Koa Concert C Linear 6/26/2019

Thread Information