NUD(ish): PhD Tenor Low G Strings

Swiftsailor98

Reaction score
I dove into the 'deep' end this evening -- yes, bad dad pun intended :D

I picked up some PHD TENOR Low G strings through Reverb, and put them on my Kala Tenor. OHHHH MY!! They are awesome!!

This is my first venture into the low G world, and even though they are still stretching, they sound great on the solid spruce top. I can feel the mango and pau ferro tri-back vibrate against my chest like never before. It's like I have a new ukulele to play--hence the "NUD(ish)" title.

If they continue to sound this good, I may never go back to high G strings on the tenor. That's what I have concert ukes for, right?

Anyone else have this experience? New set of strings? Switching from High to Low G (or vice versa)?

Here's the link to the strings on Reverb.
https://reverb.com/item/10675560-phd-ukulele-strings-tenor-low-g-daniel-ho-jason-arimoto

I had the same experience when I switched my tenor to low G. It does transform the uke entirely. Now my concert is in low G as well, but wounded string which seems to have an even longer sustain and depth. I’m doing it to my soprano soon but I’m in a dilemma which soprano to low g. Most probably the Martin S1.

By the way, you can go to the hms to download the awesome free low G chord melody tabs.

Can you please tell me if you had to widen your nut slot for the g string to fit?

There are no wound strings in the set. The g string doesn't seem overly thick, so it fit the nut without any problems. My tenor was set up at HMS, if that makes a difference.

There are no wound strings in the set. The g string doesn't seem overly thick, so it fit the nut without any problems. My tenor was set up at HMS, if that makes a difference.

Thanks. I haven't tried the low g Phds yet, but when the wound string that came with my RC Replica unwinds, I wanted to try fluorocarbon. I doubt HMS widens the slots unless they install the string.

I've got some pHD GCEA low g strings for my Pono Mango Baritone I have been meaning to put on that uke for months and just haven't gotten around to it. How do you find the string tension on the pHDs compared to fluorocarbon strings like martins or black lines?

How do you find the string tension on the pHDs compared to fluorocarbon strings like martins or black lines?

I want to say lower tension, but let me get back to you. I need to get all three ukes out and play them back to back (to back) to give you a more confident answer.

UPDATE: After playing all three, and acknowledging that the Black Lines and Martins are on Concerts, I feel pretty confident in saying they're lower tension.

Also, they feel "softer" on the fingers. I use the term, knowing it's not technically accurate, but it conveys the feeling of the lower tension combined with the relatively thicker strings in comparison to the finer fluorocarbons.

Last edited:
Cool! I tend to favor slightly lower tension on strings, so your post has motivated me to finally get those strings on my uke tonight! I'll see how they sound.

I have PHD GCEA low G strings on both my kit built Stew Mac tenor and my 50s era Harmony baritone. I bought both sets from Lucy's Ukulele through Reverb. I like pretty much everything about both sets . . . the tone, the feel of the strings, the projection. Both instruments seemed to come alive with these strings.

I put some of these low G strings on my baritone. They seem kind of loose and a lower pitch than standard dgbe baritone tuning. Is this correct or do I have them an octive too low. I don't want to tighten them and break the string.

A little help please from anyone who has used these strings. Are they tuned to the same octave as concert scale or are they tuned an octave lower?

I tuned mine to the same octave as concert scale, but I am no expert. For all I know I tuned them too high.

I've got some pHD GCEA low g strings for my Pono Mango Baritone I have been meaning to put on that uke for months and just haven't gotten around to it. How do you find the string tension on the pHDs compared to fluorocarbon strings like martins or black lines?

I finally got these strings on my Pono Baritone. It was the first "nice" ukulele that I bought brand new from HMS. I had it setup with low GCEA but just hated the wound strings. I later switched it back to traditional baritone tuning with Ko'olau strings but never warmed to it.... the sound just wasn't like I heard on the HMS video....and as a result it has set largely unplayed for months. I couldn't bear to let it go though since it was my first "nice" uke purchased as new instead of used.

After putting the pHD low-GCEA strings on it all I can say is....WOW! I fell in love with the ukulele all over again, and even the thick neck didn't stop me from playing it till my wrists, elbows, and shoulders ached. The strings are definitely lower tension and have a smoother feel on my fingers than what was there before. I like how they add a little ring to the tone without being too bright. I may try some of these strings on my Pono mango concert I was considering selling. It currently has Ko'olau strings too, the old gold ones.

Last edited:
Are they tuned to the same octave as concert scale or are they tuned an octave lower?

Mine are tuned exactly the same as my concert. The only exception is the 4th string which is tuned to the G below middle C.

Top Bottom