Hard shell cases... Who has the best prices on those.

feliciadora

Reaction score
I'm wanting to get a hard shell case for the uke I'm building but can't spend a ton on one. Who has the best deals on them atm? I want less than $30 and with good evaluation. Help me!

I have hard cases for everything - no gig bags. I've bought hard cases for $25, and they are fine. Just how much abuse do expect your uke and case to take? Will you be traveling continuously and checking the uke into airplane luggage? Is it likely that cars will be driving over it fairly often?

Those hard zippered cases are a good deal, but I'm not a big fan of the zippers. I prefer a traditional hard case with three or more clasps and hooks for one or more straps. My favorite is probably the Crossrock Fiberglass, but they sell for close to $200. Shopping on Amazon, be aware that prices vary according to color.
https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=ukulele+hard+cases&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

My best deal was an Ameritage tenor case ($250) that I got for free with a uke. The salesman said the uke came with my choice of several cases, and he suggested the Ameritage.

A friend has a Collings tenor with a case designed internally for it. I forget the brand, but you send the maker detailed measurements, and they add padding inside the fiberglass case to fit your uke perfectly. That cost a fortune, though.

A good hard case for under $30.00 is a tall order. Best bet is to search Amazon and read all the reviews. Good luck

Dave nailed it. A tall order indeed. Go to Amazon and search for Glarry hard shell ukulele case. Concert case for 30 bucks, and tenor case for 36 bucks. Don't know anything about the quality, though. Good luck in your quest.

The Glarry cases are inexpensive and the one I have is holding up well. I have a mandolin case to fit my banjo uke with the 10" pot. I had to air it a couple of days because there was a smell that bugged me, but it's been fine. Heavy though. I'd buy another one if I needed one.

https://www.glarrymusic.com/cases-c-15.html

I have hard cases for everything - no gig bags. I've bought hard cases for $25, and they are fine. Just how much abuse do expect your uke and case to take? Will you be traveling continuously and checking the uke into airplane luggage? Is it likely that cars will be driving over it fairly often?

Those hard zippered cases are a good deal, but I'm not a big fan of the zippers. I prefer a traditional hard case with three or more clasps and hooks for one or more straps. My favorite is probably the Crossrock Fiberglass, but they sell for close to $200. Shopping on Amazon, be aware that prices vary according to color.
https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=ukulele+hard+cases&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

My best deal was an Ameritage tenor case ($250) that I got for free with a uke. The salesman said the uke came with my choice of several cases, and he suggested the Ameritage.

A friend has a Collings tenor with a case designed internally for it. I forget the brand, but you send the maker detailed measurements, and they add padding inside the fiberglass case to fit your uke perfectly. That cost a fortune, though.

Do you realize that none of your suggestions came anywhere near the $30 OP desires to spend on one?

Do you realize that none of your suggestions came anywhere near the $30 OP desires to spend on one?

Maybe you missed this part -

"I have hard cases for everything - no gig bags. I've bought hard cases for $25, and they are fine...Those hard zippered cases are a good deal, but I'm not a big fan of the zippers."
https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=ukulele...f=nb_sb_noss_1

I don't control Amazon's prices, but I did post a link to their cases, $19 and up.

I see hard cases on eBay all the time out of Asia for under $30 when I do a search for tenor ukulele. Try it for the size you're building.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Just be mindful of the old sayings "you get what you pay for" or "good money after bad". These days there are countless cases out there being manufactured and sold VERY cheaply, with poor materials and workmanship. I have seen the shells crack or break, and handles, latches or hinges pull out. Some cases look nice, but the quality is extremely poor. Some have very poor padding or the adhesive or foam smells so strongly of chemicals that it is enough to choke a small city.

Read the reviews carefully. You don't want to risk ruining an instrument to save a few dollars or have to buy a few to get one that will last. Think of it as a lifetime investment and of the relative cost over that time. I would probably go with one of the bigger ukulele vendors and take their advice rather than blindly off of eBay or amazon. Sometimes you can find good deals from music stores on cases that are B stock or used. They work well , but have small cosmetic issues. I purchased some Gator brand ones that way.

Do some homework and you can probably find something to fit your needs.

Maybe you missed this part -

"I have hard cases for everything - no gig bags. I've bought hard cases for $25, and they are fine...Those hard zippered cases are a good deal, but I'm not a big fan of the zippers."
https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=ukulele...f=nb_sb_noss_1

I don't control Amazon's prices, but I did post a link to their cases, $19 and up.
Your link is for an Amazon search, not a specific case. The hard cases were way over price and the soft cases were not "hard".

I once bought ($40-50, if memory serves) what was called a hard case...but it was basically a gig bag with some wood in the frame that made it hard. It probably would have protected the ukulele but it wouldn't maintain a humidified environment. If you want to humidify your custom uke to prevent it from cracking, then I think you should get a real hard case. I have a Crossrock that I bought for my custom tenor. It cost $80 but it is an investment I can rally behind as it offers protection, humidity, and a red velvet interior.

I really like the suede Ukulele Site cases but the shipping would get you. You may have to buy a uke to save the shipping but you would be saving money so no spouse could complain. This is approved as keeping in line with the principles of Ukulele Logic.

I look on Amazon first. If I don't see what I want, I try Google. I've bought genuine hard cases from $20 to over $100, and I've never had a problem. All I do is store my ukes in them and bring them to jam sessions - no airplane check-ins.

The canvas zippered cases are generally less expensive, and they are still hard cases. In addition, they often have more room inside for odd shaped ukuleles.

I really like the suede Ukulele Site cases but the shipping would get you. You may have to buy a uke to save the shipping but you would be saving money so no spouse could complain. This is approved as keeping in line with the principles of Ukulele Logic.

That why I like Amazon Prime - fast, free shipping.

Yes, buying a uke to get a free case is an excellent idea! :)

Just from the description, that sounds like a Hoffee case.

I posted this in March under Buying Tips. I don't see the yellow ones available now but if the others are as good you can't go wrong.....

I just purchased a hard case on Amazon for a new concert ukulele. For $29 I wasn't expecting much and was quite surprised at the quality of the case I received.

"Student 24 Concert Python Pattern Leather Ukulele Case Classic Hard Case (Yellow)" doesn't seem to be leather at all but sort of an old fashioned tweed covering with great protection and a really nice suede covered interior.

This is a really nice case for $29.

If you're in the US, maybe try contacting Mim or Uke Republic and ask them for suggestions. They'd be able to help you find something that would be a fit for your ukulele 's dimensions, and come as close as possible to your price and other needs, like how sturdy you need it to be.

That why I like Amazon Prime - fast, free shipping.

Yes, buying a uke to get a free case is an excellent idea! :)

I LOVE Amazon, but I recently saw a newspaper article about a manufacturer who, after receiving complaints of inferior merchandise, started ordering their own products off and sold by Amazon and was receiving counterfeits because apparently Amazon was co-mingling inventory. In the article, they weren't the only ones with this complaint. It seems purchasing sold by Amazon doesn't guarantee the item won't be a low quality fake. It's important to check the quality carefully. Definitely putting a crimp in my Amazon love affair.

Top Bottom