Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breaking strings.

Default Breaking strings.

People often mention strings breaking. I've been playing ukulele for five years, and I play my ukulele every day with few exceptions. I've never broken a string. What am I doing wrong? How do you break strings?
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

The last string that broke did so while my ukulele was hanging on the wall, while I was looking at it and admiring it from across the room. The A string just went ping and broke clean in half for no particular reason. Sometimes it's not playing it that does it.
    Kamaka HF-3DC - KoAloha KTM-S00 - Kanile'a SUS B DLX - Kanile'a K-1B - Pono MGTP5-PC

I've been playing ukes for about twenty-five years and have only ever had one string breakage. I don't know what caused that one, but it seems to me that such events are rare indeed.

John Colter.

The only time I broke a string was as a beginner installing new strings and tightened one too much. In the 6 years I've been playing and the 19 ukes I've owned, I've never otherwise broken a string.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
    9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

I've broken a string just once. I had tuned that particular uke (a soprano) up and down between GCEA and ADF#B a few times trying to decide which I preferred. I tuned it up to ADF#B once too often and the A string broke. The strings had been on a while too so I just changed them. That particular uke I eventually re homed.

Now I keep one soprano permanently in ADF#B. The others are all in GCEA though there's only one of those I play at all regularly, the Flea. The other two I have are just cheapie beaters.
    Geoff Walker

I have several ukuleles in various sizes and am not planning on getting any more...

at least, not yet.

I also play some blowy things and a squeezy thing

Internet:
    You Tube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TootlinGeoff
    Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/tootlingeoff

I've had strings break on the pin hole and saddle a few times. A bit of smoothing with a Swiss file and sandpaper fixed it. In my uku classes I sometimes see broken wound G strings. Usually they were many years old and the frets had cut through the metal leaving bare nylon thread.

I've had a few break. Most of them were manufacturing problems that caused the strings to shred. A couple of these were Southcoasts, which Dirk promptly replaced and then some.

I only once had an ukulele string break.
    My fluke fell over.

I had a few wound guitar strings break though.
    3 tenors ukuleles and 4 concert ukuleles, wonder it that is enough.

The only time I broke a string was several years ago, and it wasn't my uke (naturally I was horrified). It was the E on my friend's baritone, which was probably in need of a string change anyway, and my somewhat rough strumming didn't help (beginner problems). I've never broken a string on my concert even though they're quite old and are showing slight visible wear now.

Some people have cited damaged/sharp frets or rough edges on the nut or bridge as possible causes for frequent string breaks. Guess I've just been lucky. Knock on wood...

This has been really interesting to think about. Like everybody else who posted, my string-breaking experience is so limited as to be almost "never." The only time I ever broke a string while playing, was on guitar, in 1975 or '76 (I remember when it happened). The only time I broke a string while restringing an instrument, was a few years ago when I was putting new strings on a tenor guitar tuned CGDA. I was using a guitar E string, and had to tune it up to A. Broke the first one, but the second one worked.

I've never broken a string on ukulele, banjo or bass.
    Kala KA-TE tenor uke (currently tuned F-Bb-D-G w/Worth Browns)
    Kala APB-CTG baritone uke (currently tuned D-G-B-E w/Martin 22 Baritone strings)
    Ohana BK-35CG baritone uke (tuned A-D-F#-B w/Savarez classical guitar strings)
    Various guitars, banjos, and basses

Thread Information