Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breaking strings.

Default Breaking strings.

People often mention strings breaking. I've been playing ukulele for five years, and I play my ukulele every day with few exceptions. I've never broken a string. What am I doing wrong? How do you break strings?
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

The last string that broke did so while my ukulele was hanging on the wall, while I was looking at it and admiring it from across the room. The A string just went ping and broke clean in half for no particular reason. Sometimes it's not playing it that does it.
    Kamaka HF-2LD - Kanile'a Custom 5 string Super Tenor - KoAloha Special Issue Tenor - Pono MGTDP - Pono ATDC-CR

I've been playing ukes for about twenty-five years and have only ever had one string breakage. I don't know what caused that one, but it seems to me that such events are rare indeed.

John Colter.

The only time I broke a string was as a beginner installing new strings and tightened one too much. In the 6 years I've been playing and the 19 ukes I've owned, I've never otherwise broken a string.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
    9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

I've broken a string just once. I had tuned that particular uke (a soprano) up and down between GCEA and ADF#B a few times trying to decide which I preferred. I tuned it up to ADF#B once too often and the A string broke. The strings had been on a while too so I just changed them. That particular uke I eventually re homed.

Now I keep one soprano permanently in ADF#B. The others are all in GCEA though there's only one of those I play at all regularly, the Flea. The other two I have are just cheapie beaters.
    Geoff Walker

I have several ukuleles in various sizes and am not planning on getting any more...

at least, not yet.

I also play some blowy things and a squeezy thing

Internet:
    You Tube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TootlinGeoff
    Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/tootlingeoff

I’m yet to have a string break but it is only early days
    Happy just to be a Newbie +, Penny

I've had strings break on the pin hole and saddle a few times. A bit of smoothing with a Swiss file and sandpaper fixed it. In my uku classes I sometimes see broken wound G strings. Usually they were many years old and the frets had cut through the metal leaving bare nylon thread.

I've had a few break. Most of them were manufacturing problems that caused the strings to shred. A couple of these were Southcoasts, which Dirk promptly replaced and then some.

I only once had an ukulele string break.
    My fluke fell over.

I had a few wound guitar strings break though.
    Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Anuenue African Mahogany Tenor, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

The only time I broke a string was several years ago, and it wasn't my uke (naturally I was horrified). It was the E on my friend's baritone, which was probably in need of a string change anyway, and my somewhat rough strumming didn't help (beginner problems). I've never broken a string on my concert even though they're quite old and are showing slight visible wear now.

Some people have cited damaged/sharp frets or rough edges on the nut or bridge as possible causes for frequent string breaks. Guess I've just been lucky. Knock on wood...

Thread Information