AQUILA Red Series 89U Baritone Ukulele Strings DGBE

maki66

Reaction score
I bought a used Harmony (Japan built) baritone here not too long ago and recently changed the strings to Aquila Reds.

I really liked the way it sounded with the strings it came with.

So it surprised me how much better it sounded with Aquila reds.

Stunning might be an over statement, but not by much.

Loud, clear, sweet, and resonance for days.

These may be my new go to strings and I'll have to try Reds on my concerts and tenors too.

I'll try and post a video of me playing on of my favorite songs shortly.

Stay tuned.

Yes, please do post a recording when you can. The advertising for these strings says that even though the two lower strings are wound, Aquila has eliminated the finger squeakiness from them. I will be interested to hear how they sound.

Yes, please do post a recording when you can. The advertising for these strings says that even though the two lower strings are wound, Aquila has eliminated the finger squeakiness from them. I will be interested to hear how they sound.
Where did you see that? That was not the case with the set of guilele strings with wound lowers and red trebles. But that has been a year or two ago.

I haven't tried the Aquila Red bari strings yet. I have used the Concert and tenor red low G, of which the G string is wound. I like the sound and feel, but the G does squeak. Not as much as the Oasis, but more than the Fremont or the TI30.

I bought a Kala solid acacia baritone in the marketplace a few years ago, and it came to me with Aquila Reds. “Stunning” is exactly the word I’ve used to describe its sound. I’ve played quite a few other baritones, but I always come back to the Kala.

Could be. I wouldn't have thought the non-wound strings would be squeaky to begin with. Anyhoo, it'll be interesting to hear maki66's sound sample.

Not a great effort on my part, my voice isn't very audible (not a bad thing).

I can get a little squeak from the wound strings, but I really have to try and its not very pronounced.

My Kala baritone wears Living Waters FC strings. I consider myself an FC guy, but I may have to reconsider!

Last edited:
Thanks, that sounded great! Those strings have a very full sound (though I know it's the uke, too). Do you like the feel of those strings under the fingers?

The strings feel nice, not quite as nice as FCs, but very good.

Thanks for the compliment, its a great ukulele and I feel privileged to own it.

Top Bottom