Does anyone here have a Martin HSO

Pukulele Pete

Reaction score
Some time ago I bought a Martin HSO . They only made 178 of them.
They put kerfed linings in a So type uke and had it finished in Nazareth.
It's built more like a vintage Martin.
The one I have is the only one I've seen ,I've never seen another for
sale. Anyone else have one? Thanks

Last edited:
I recall that there was a little more positive reception to those over the SO. I don't think I ever saw or played one.

I have a Mexican made SO with a partially detached back that I hope to fix up this coming winter. Part of the plan is to fit it with kerfed linings of Spanish cedar and, maybe, new spruce bracing that extends across the full back instead of stopping short of the sides.
I like the uke a lot - but it clearly had design problems. I suppose the extra step of bringing it back to Nazareth and the lining raised the original price quite a bit.

I have two SO's . I leave one out winter and summer on the coffee table , no problems , one for over 20 years . Great ukuleles .

SO , does anyone here have a Martin HSO ? They are a rare uke , I'm wondering how many are left ?

Last edited:
Customer service told me years ago they made 170 something , I think it was 178.

Do I have the only remaining Martin HSO ? Is it one of the rarest Martin ukuleles ?
Anyone ? :confused:

I sure don't have one, but I am curious. When a company like Martin makes only 170 or so of an instrument, how do they distribute them? Where did you buy yours?

I bought it on Ebay , years ago . I'm wondering if the one I have is the only one that survived .
Maybe the one I have is the only one that was sold? Weird .
Here are some old pics from when I received it.CIMG5223.jpgCIMG5222.jpg
It came with a C.F. Martin case .

Last edited:
Sounds like there are 177 HSO owners that may not know what they have. Might be an opportunity here.

The bulletin board at Fleamarket music has some posts on the HSO from 2003 to 2009. Including a 9 Jan 2009 post from a FMM member Pukulele Pete. It says there were only 24 made. Some of the posts are not very complimentary about the uke.

Another site says that 178 were made. It's interesting that you don't hear much about them.
https://umgf.com/rare-uke-martin-hso-t201152.html

Top Bottom