polyfoam cases?

boojiboo

Reaction score
Do the polyfoam cases allow you to keep your uke humidified? I'm wondering about getting a polyfoam vs. a hard case. The uke in question won't be traveling much, so humidification is the deciding factor for me.

Last edited:
Yes, they will contain humidity.

But I agree with John, given the bulkiness and harder to clean, and the fact that they are comparable pricewise, I prefer hard cases.

Polyfoam does weigh considerably less for shipping, and you can occasionally find them dirt cheap on sale.
And it can be a more affordable option for a pineapple uke.

Here in Hawaii my car interior is often hitting around 120 degrees after a few hours in the parking lot. I carry two or three instruments daily and all the wood cases I've owned were terrible at insulation and heat up really quickly when tossed in the trunk for the ride home. Polyfoam keeps my instruments cool for hours, acting like a picnic cooler. As for humidity protection, I'm guessing wood is more prone to absorbing moisture in high humidity and drying out in low humidity than polyfoam. I have a stack of wood cases in storage—just in case I sell the instrument—and always replace the stock wood cases with dense foam cases for enhanced heat and humidity protection.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the information! I've gone with a polyfoam and am satisfied with it for the time being, at least. It's sturdier than I expected and seems to be holding humidity well enough, though the real test will be in the winter when the house goes bone-dry.

I hadn't even thought about heat retention, but that's a great point. I will keep that in mind when traveling with any of mine!

Here in Hawaii my car interior is often hitting around 120 degrees after a few hours in the parking lot. I carry two or three instruments daily and all the wood cases I've owned were terrible at insulation and heat up really quickly when tossed in the trunk for the ride home. Polyfoam keeps my instruments cool for hours, acting like a picnic cooler. As for humidity protection, I'm guessing wood is more prone to absorbing moisture in high humidity and drying out in low humidity than polyfoam. I have a stack of wood cases in storage—just in case I sell the instrument—and always replace the stock wood cases with dense foam cases for enhanced heat and humidity protection.

Smart, smart! Makes sense, now that I think about it. Same material as a cooler.
But I can't fit as many of those cases lined up against a wall. My wife already complains, LOL.

I have painted my polystyrene cases with white paint to make them cooler inside the case for my summer activities on bicycles and trains.
If you want to seal the fabric and make it harder for the water molecules to get out of the case, you can give the fabric a coat of acrylic sealer and then a coat of acrylic paint in a colour of your choice. This will also make it much easier to keep clean, most dirt will wipe off. If you enjoy crafty stuff you can even use products like the Jo Sonya range to decorate the case, to make it fit the decor of the house and easier to leave out where you can find the uke to play. If you do apply paint, look at the zips, you need to avoid glueing them shut with paint.

That is great information! Thank you. I do enjoy making stuff, so this would be doable. Thanks!

Top Bottom