Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ukulele Insurance?

Kerrville, TX - Heart of the Fabulous Texas Hill Country

Default Ukulele Insurance?

I'm worried about the uninsured risk of having my Ukulele collection in my home. The homeowners policy sets a low limit on losses to musical instruments. I tried simply determining the acquisition costs of the instruments, and giving the insurance company a list with values and a total. The agent temporarily bound coverage, but the company cancelled, and said that they needed an appraisal. Where the heck do you get a Ukulele appraisal? My agent has no idea. And, neither do I. I live in community of about 25,000. I suspect that I'm the most knowledgable Ukulele person here. It's very frustrating!

PS: I'm talking about 40+ instruments with a combined acquisition cost of nearly $40K.
    Last edited by VegasGeorge; 08-20-2019 at 06:37 AM.
    "The sole cause of all human misery is the inability of people
    to sit quietly in their rooms." - Blaise Pascal, 1670

Start with the receipts. That should suffice for a lot of the ukes. If they are currently on the market, use the new price and vendor as the appraisal.

There are musical instrument insurance policies, and insurance companies that specialize in musical instrument insurance for professional musicians or instrument collectors. I don't have any experience with these, but a Google search of "musical instrument insurance" pulled up lots of promising looking results.

-Brett

I was going to say that as well. I know that my niece has her violin insured. I will ask her, but I'm pretty sure that they got it through the music store where they bought it. I believe that my sister-in-law told me that they had the option. You might call a music store that supplies instruments to schools and ask. Or maybe the band director at the school. I'm just throwing this all out there. You can do as you please. I just came across the same thing when I tried to insure my firearms a few years ago. I had to get a rider. It was pretty expensive and they wanted to get an appraisal as well. As long as I'm just blabbing, my father-in-law used to be an auctioneer and he did insurance appraisals.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

I think there are (at least) two kinds of coverage; a rider on your policy which would cover loss by theft, natural disaster, etc., the same as other items in your home, only with an additional charge. Instrument policies like Rollie's niece has on her violin would probably, though not necessarily, cost more, and cover additional potential loss from theft outside the home, damage outside the home, etc. I guess calling a couple of agents is the place to start.

I've got MusicPro insurance for my gear. They're covering $13k worth of stuff for $190/year-ish. I thought that was pretty cheap for the peace of mind it gives you at gigs. No appraisals. You just punch in what you value your instruments at and they give you a quote from there.

Confluence of the Mississippi and Rum Rivers

Two of my wife's instruments are insured. Yes she did have to get them appraised. Easy enough in a big city. I would provide receipts if you have them, kind of sound you tried something equivalent. Should likely get my son's violin on the list as well. My ukulele's, I only have 3 and I doubt any are worth more than 1K, even the Koaloha and the other two less.

Instruments can be along term investment that you want to be able to protect. Be persistent. Have you thought of the appraiser coming to you?? Might be cheaper to get them to come to you than for you to get your instruments to them?

Another consideration is whether you play professionally as some homeowners policies won't cover gear you use to make a living.
    Last edited by etudes; 08-20-2019 at 06:18 PM.
    "Everyone I know who is into the Ukulele is 'crackers' so get yourself a few and enjoy yourselves" - George Harrison

the ukes and year of acquisition:
    Pono RTSH-C-PC Cedar/Rosewood tenor 2016
    Koaloha KSM-02 Koa longneck soprano 2016
    Blackbird Farallon 2017
    2008 Kiwaya KTC-02 Mahogany concert 2018
    aNueNue Moonbird Spruce/Rosewood concert 2018

A lot of celtic and pedal harp owners get their insurance coverage through Anderson Group. Here's a link to their website, if you are interested in following up on their rates and requirements:

https://www.anderson-group.com/music...ent-insurance/

Jan D.
    KoAloha KCM-00 (koa concert)
    KoAloha Opio KCO-10 (acacia concert)
    Thormahlen Yew-kulele (yew concert)
    Kala KA-SLNG (long neck soprano)
    Flight TUS35 (blue soprano)
    UKES LOOKING FOR A NEW HOME:
    *Ohana TK-35CG (mahogany tenor w/cutaway)
    *Snail SUC (solid top mahogany concert)

I believe our insurance company's policy has a "high value content" that we opted for. The contents are covered up to $150k replacement value. With jewelry, art work, antique furniture, a handful or guns and my ukuleles, I think I'll have to get a rider for some of these. It all mounts up quickly.

Receipts are you best proof, then market value from MSRP listings (with copies of the listings, to adjust for inflation as well). Serial Numbers if available. Take videos of everything with a running commentary. Store copies of everything off site, such as a bank deposit box or friends.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Thread Information