Changing Species

Timbuck

Reaction score
For my next batch of ukes..I will not be using anymore "Indian Rosewood" fretboards co's I have now run out of stock .. From now on I will be using Pau Ferro, Morado, Bolivian Rosewood, Santos Rosewood or (what ever you want to call it) I understand this is now the prefered timber of Fender Guitars so it can't be bad stuff.:) ..And I can sleep better at nights knowing that i'm not breaking the Cites laws anymore :rolleyes:
new wood.jpg

I'm happy to hear that the fretboards are what is changing.
In this "new world" we live in , well , you never know.

I use mgurure or leadwood as it is more commonly known. Holds the edge like ebony.

Last edited:
I've made up some of these Pau Ferro boards and they dont look too bad compared to indian rosewood, in fact they look very similar...I dont think anybody would know the difference or care....Also I'm finding out I am alergic to the dust after all, sore itchy skin around the eyes running nose and sneezing etc: :(
IMG_4382 by Ken Timms, on Flickr

Last edited:
Those look good, Ken. Not to be sneezed at!

John Colter.

I just sanded 15 boards down to thickness..No allergic reactions so far...(

Keep in mind that nobody is allergic right off the bat. One has to become sensitized by exposure over time, then you become allergic. Best thing is to limit initial expose to any wood dust.

Keep in mind that nobody is allergic right off the bat. One has to become sensitized by exposure over time, then you become allergic. Best thing is to limit initial expose to any wood dust.

"I woke up this morning" (Muddy Waters Riff) Face all red and sore and eyes stinging and nose blocked :wtf: ...Pau Ferro now banned from workshop.:(

"I woke up this morning" (Muddy Waters Riff) Face all red and sore and eyes stinging and nose blocked :wtf: ...Pau Ferro now banned from workshop.:(

Sorry to hear, this wood seems to be used more and more often and I thought the issue was one of skin sensitivity. But obviously inhaling dust can be much worse.

Top Bottom